+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Closet space ideas

I just bought a home built circa 1914. There is little to no closet space. I was thinking about adding shelves/ drawers to the existing closets. I am trying not to change to much of the original structure and do not want to purchase too many wardrobes/ armoires. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndflrfrtclst2.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rdflrrear.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	676  

Default Re: Closet space ideas

I have a similar problem in my house, just ended up raising my bed 10 inches for the extra storage. Shelves at the top would help, or if you have a lot of short things you are going to hang up you can put two dowels, one a couple feet or so above the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tanlaw2006 View Post
    I just bought a home built circa 1914. There is little to no closet space. I was thinking about adding shelves/ drawers to the existing closets. I am trying not to change to much of the original structure and do not want to purchase too many wardrobes/ armoires. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    You could always change your life style and live like they did then. One change of cloths your wearing, one being washed, and one good set for church on Sunday.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

LOL @ Jack! :-D

Got a point though.... what you do depends a lot on the amount of clothes you'll be storing in the closets. Maybe shelves and a drawer or two (or drawers and a shelf or two) on one side and then a rod on the other. How high you put it depends on the length of clothes and the height of the person reaching the clothes.

Old wardrobes are always nice.... if you have the room for them.

Sorry the devil made me say that.
    The problem with those old style closets is that they are so shallow. If you put shelves in, the side areas are almost impossible to get access to unless you remove the stuff that's in the center of the shelf. If you put drawers in the sides the case almost takes up as much room as the storage they provide.
    A lot of times the closets are back to back and you can remove the wall between to gain a decent size closet for one room but loose the closet in the next.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't think there would be any harm in finding a few places to install some closets. Finished properly, they'll look like they've always been there. The house is there to serve you, not the other way around.

Are there any alcoves you could fit some shelves in? Either side of a fireplace for example? It wont matter if they're new wood as you could paint them white like you might old wood anyway.
    Or you could get a nice old wooden chest that could be used as a seat too? Or like somebody else said, use under the bed and shelving. I've got a similar shallow cupboard that I got some wicker baskets for.
    How about one of those fabric things that fit in wardrobes etc. I don't think I can post a link yet but they hang over the rail and have compartments in them. I think you can get simliar things to hang on the back of a door too.