+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky Basement

Default Leaky Basement

My wife and I were just married this past summer, and we bought a charming old house in the oldest neighbourhood in our city. (Windsor, ON). The basement is completely unfinished and when we bought the house there was no indication (to me) that the basement leaked. Due to the unusual amount of rain this fall and winter we have noticed that water seemes to seep in through the concrete pad and form puddles. I know this sounds strange but where our furnace is (in the middle of the basement 60yrs old)is where the water seems to seep in. I've also noticed a couple of spots at the base of the walls where water appears to be leaking in................On top of that we just learned our water main is galvanized. We plan to start renovating/finishing the basement this summer we just don't know where to start. Is it better to just bust up the whole floor and start over? or is there a more cost efficient solution?

Matt Jean
    Windsor, Ontario
    Last edited by mjean; 02-27-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: forgot a word

Default Re: Leaky Basement

The first thing I would check and fix if needed is to make sure the grade around the house slopes away. It's not uncommon for the backfill placed against the house to settle and direct rainwater back to the house. The second is to make sure the downspouts are directed away from the house. Especially important is the grade against the house doesn't have a good slope away.
    The fact that water is appearing in the middle of the basement may point to high groundwater. A good sump system around the foundation could take care of the problem if the water is coming from the surface. If the water table is rising, that's a more difficult problem.
    I would start with the easy fixes first.

Default Re: Leaky Basement

Thanks for the advice; when spring rolls around I'll definately asess the grade around our house as well as the downspouts. thanks for all you help.