+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Multiple detached garage questions

Thank you all for the tons of good info!

Regarding closing in the water heater...

Since the current one is in the corner near the pedestrian door, I was going to build 2 more walls and hinge them at the wall that the pedestrian door is not mounted to and then again at the 90* corner of the box for ease of maintenance. Think of a bi-fold closet door on a much bigger scale.

I was wondering about ventilation if I decide to go with a gas water heater. Are there models out that use the double flue pipe that uses the center pipe for venting flue gases and the outer pipe for incoming air to burn? I thought that that might be a solution to the problem of ventilation. Would something like a through-the-door grate such as vertical interior (closet??) furnaces in some homes use be sufficient for ventilation? The garage door is rarely open because I don't park the car in there and I thought that the grate might stop or re-direct any breeze away from the pilot light.

Is there any such thing as an electronic ignition gas water heater? ie: no pilot light necessary?

We don't have power outages here very often but now, having said that, we will be plagued with them and more so if I do go with an electric water heater. I call it Jeff's Law.

here's some examples ; http://www.hotwater.com/products/residential/gas.html

Try laying out the size of the enclosed space with tape or 2X4's and see what impact there may be.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Geash.......... Shore don't.............. I was going to mention that........... Then thought.......... Naw.
    shoot if I do something stupid you can jump on it. I have been married for almost 25 years, you couldn't say anything to me that hasn't been said many times before

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    shoot if I do something stupid you can jump on it. I have been married for almost 25 years, you couldn't say anything to me that hasn't been said many times before

Now that, made me laugh.

Maybe its me, but a tankless water heater sounds like it might be a consideration in your situation. Then you wouldn't have to insulate around it. (or even better you could cram it into a spot in the house that a normal water heater wouldn't fit.) Its a more expensive option initially but I love mine.

As to venting the roof without a soffit, take a look at vented drip edge. Air Vent makes one.

Quote Originally Posted by keithinohio View Post
    Maybe its me, but a tankless water heater sounds like it might be a consideration in your situation. Then you wouldn't have to insulate around it. (or even better you could cram it into a spot in the house that a normal water heater wouldn't fit.) Its a more expensive option initially but I love mine.
    If you're using an on-demand water heater for individual sink locations throughout the house then you're fairly alright in terms of expense. However, if you're thinking a whole house in-line water heater then this may not be a money saving option.

Our local power company provides this statement:

The positive side

• The efficiency of some in-line water heaters is 99%
    • Water is heated only when needed, which results in an estimated 6% energy savings over tank type heaters.

The negative side

• The size of a tankless water heater needed to raise the incoming water temperature from 50F to the outgoing water temperature to 120F
    • At 1.5 GPM (enough for one point of use at a time) would require 70 Amps and 2-50 Amp circuit breakers, the wattage is 14.4 kW which is the equivalent of operating 3.2 standard electric full-size water heaters at the same time.
    • Cost for this size of heater is $500.00
    • The estimated cost to operate an electric in-line water heater is $18.00 per month (our kWh cost is .049 cents)
    • At 3 GPM (enough foR two points of use simultaneously) would require 150 Amps and 3-60 amp circuit breakers and the wattage usage is 36kW which is the equivalent of operating 8 full size water heaters at the same time.

At this stage most, if not all, power companies would place you on what is called a "demand meter". You're now required to pay demand charges in addition to electric usage charges.

I recommend talking with your local power company for information on whole house in-line water heaters.

Joe