+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Multiple detached garage questions

This spring and summer I will be renovating my detached 16 x 20 garage. Before I start, I have a multitude of questions that I really would like answers to so I can start this project fully prepared. The garage is frame-on-slab as mentioned in my other post on this board.

1: I will be replacing the aging, cracked, split and believe it or not, partially melted vinyl siding. I know that you are wondering so, the partially melted spot is from the previous owner's kid starting a fire in some leaves behind the garage with a magnifying glass.

Before I replace the siding, I want to move a couple of windows and add a few more. I know proper framing techniques so that shouldn't be a problem structurally. The questions on this part are...

Do I need to pull permits to change out the siding, add 1 new window and move 1 window?

What is the best environmentally conscious way to dispose of the old vinyl siding? It is pretty deteriorated and brittle if that matters.

2: There is NO overhang where the edge of the roof meets the wall. Zero! There are also no gutters on the garage at all and no fascia boards at all. The siding simply goes right up to the drip edge. I'm at a loss as to how to correct this.

Once the vinyl siding is off, should I just tack on a pressure treated 1x6 fascia board to mount the gutters to?

Can I cut a hole in the plywood and sister a 2x4 to the rafters so that I can create a soffit and have enough overhang to mount a fascia board and gutters? I realize that the roofing would need to be revised in order for this choice to work and I do have leftovers from replacing the roof 2 years ago.

3: The garage is uninsulated and it also has absolutely NO ventilation whatsoever. There are no soffits, no eve vents, no roof vents. In the peak of summer the temperature in there exceeds 100*F easily. While the siding is off, would it be best to...

add eve vents at the peak of the roof on the front and back and add a solar powered roof vent to the roof? OR

Add standard roof vents?

Spinning roof vents?

Suggestions?

4: The water heater for the house is in the garage and, as I mentioned, the garage is uninsulated. There is a water heater blanket around the water heater and the pipes have foam insulation around them.

Should I insulate the walls of the garage to keep the water heater from having to work harder in the winter?

Should I build a closet around the water heater and insulate that?

5: I would eventually like to be able to work on projects in there year 'round so insulating the garage walls is probably the best option for me.

What R value should I use and should I drywall over it?

I know that this is a lot to ask all in one post but I would really appreciate any advice and suggestions! Thanks!

Jeff

Default Re: Multiple detached garage questions

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    This spring and summer I will be renovating my detached 16 x 20 garage. Before I start, I have a multitude of questions that I really would like answers to so I can start this project fully prepared. The garage is frame-on-slab as mentioned in my other post on this board.

1: I will be replacing the aging, cracked, split and believe it or not, partially melted vinyl siding. I know that you are wondering so, the partially melted spot is from the previous owner's kid starting a fire in some leaves behind the garage with a magnifying glass.

Before I replace the siding, I want to move a couple of windows and add a few more. I know proper framing techniques so that shouldn't be a problem structurally. The questions on this part are...

Do I need to pull permits to change out the siding, add 1 new window and move 1 window?probally but this can vary from area to area, each county here can have very different code requirements

What is the best environmentally conscious way to dispose of the old vinyl siding? It is pretty deteriorated and brittle if that matters.

2: There is NO overhang where the edge of the roof meets the wall. Zero! There are also no gutters on the garage at all and no fascia boards at all. The siding simply goes right up to the drip edge. I'm at a loss as to how to correct this.

Once the vinyl siding is off, should I just tack on a pressure treated 1x6 fascia board to mount the gutters to?

Can I cut a hole in the plywood and sister a 2x4 to the rafters so that I can create a soffit and have enough overhang to mount a fascia board and gutters? I realize that the roofing would need to be revised in order for this choice to work and I do have leftovers from replacing the roof 2 years ago.
    this is the one that I would do, though have seen soffits just added to the outside by simply making the soffit in a jig and then nailing it to the wall. but I would prefer to see adding to the trusses

3: The garage is uninsulated and it also has absolutely NO ventilation whatsoever. There are no soffits, no eve vents, no roof vents. In the peak of summer the temperature in there exceeds 100*F easily. While the siding is off, would it be best to...

add eve vents at the peak of the roof on the front and back and add a solar powered roof vent to the roof? OR

Add standard roof vents?

Spinning roof vents?

Suggestions?

4: The water heater for the house is in the garage and, as I mentioned, the garage is uninsulated. There is a water heater blanket around the water heater and the pipes have foam insulation around them.
    Should I insulate the walls of the garage to keep the water heater from having to work harder in the winter?

I would look at moving the water heater to the house think of the energy that is lost just in the water traveling from the garage to the house, you should see a savings on the elec bill right away just moving it to the house

5: I would eventually like to be able to work on projects in there year 'round so insulating the garage walls is probably the best option for me.

I know that this is a lot to ask all in one post but I would really appreciate any advice and suggestions! Thanks!

Jeff
    I'm sure others will provide insight

Do I need to pull permits to change out the siding, add 1 new window and move 1 window?

It depends on your local building codes. In my area the permit fees are a percentage of the cost of the remodel. Call you local Building Permit Board for more information.

Recycle it

I don't think this is a good idea

I think this would be better but I don't have any practical experience with doing this

I don't have any experience with solar roof vents so I can't vote for this one

Add standard roof vents?

ridge vents if possible

Spinning roof vents?

No eventually they squeak and most of the time you need to replace them instead of lubricate them

Suggestions?

BOTH

as high as you can afford. Again check your local building codes they may have changed the minimum

Jeff
    Glad to help
    Debby in Oklahoma

Havanagranite,

Thanks for the info. Moving the water heater into the house isn't possible, there just isn't anywhere practical to put it.

Debby,

Thank you for the info. Is it possible to add a ridge vent to the existing new roof without destroying it? I don't have a lot of experience in roofing at all. From what I've seen, I would assume that I need to take the ridge cap shingles and maybe the first course under them off to do this, correct?

The one thing that I forgot to mention is that adding soffits to the sides is going to make the roof edge low enough that anyone over 5' 10" tall is going to bang their head on it. Of course, on one side of the garage I'm going to install a paver patio but I could put some landscaping at the edge of it. Are there any codes against it being below XX height?

probally but this can vary from area to area, each county here can have very different code requirements
    You pretty much have to check with the municipality on that.

You could though it will either be confined around the tank if you need to do any service or it will take away space inside the garage.
    Double insulate the tank if need be.

Spinning roof vents?
    I personally don't like these. They need to be installed just right in order for them to turn freely ... if they end up out of plumb they will bind. They also need wind to turn them so on a calm hot day they aren't as effective.... in my opinion.

Is it possible to add a ridge vent to the existing new roof without destroying it? I don't have a lot of experience in roofing at all. From what I've seen, I would assume that I need to take the ridge cap shingles and maybe the first course under them off to do this, correct?
    It can be moderately simple to do if you take your time.
    Here's a link with some basic how- to ... take some of the warnings with a grain of salt ...
    http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720118

You will need additional vents lower down the roof to provide the convection necessary. if you don't add soffits then roof top vents can be added .
    Or roof vents could be added with large gable vents.

Sure thing ... this would help for helping the water heater as well as the comfort in working in the garage.
    I'll say that the typical R 13-15 for 2x4 walls would be sufficent for your location.

As for drywall ... that depends on your local building codes. For example here for a detached garage there is no requirment for drywall as compared to an attached garage there is a requirment for drywall as a fire stop.

The one thing that I forgot to mention is that adding soffits to the sides is going to make the roof edge low enough that anyone over 5' 10" tall is going to bang their head on it. Of course, on one side of the garage I'm going to install a paver patio but I could put some landscaping at the edge of it. Are there any codes against it being below XX height?
    This is a tricky one to answer ..... Again this would depend on any local building codes.
    Logic could dictate if you will be knocking your head on the soffit then you may not do it and that would solve the delimena of how best to add one on.

Hope this helps.

Havanagranite,

Thanks for the info. Moving the water heater into the house isn't possible, there just isn't anywhere practical to put it.

Debby,

Thank you for the info. Is it possible to add a ridge vent to the existing new roof without destroying it? I don't have a lot of experience in roofing at all. From what I've seen, I would assume that I need to take the ridge cap shingles and maybe the first course under them off to do this, correct?most ridge caps go over the shingles.

The one thing that I forgot to mention is that adding soffits to the sides is going to make the roof edge low enough that anyone over 5' 10" tall is going to bang their head on it. Of course, on one side of the garage I'm going to install a paver patio but I could put some landscaping at the edge of it.that is what I would do is plant next to the garage and that will protect everyone's sore head from further damage. Are there any codes against it being below XX height?
    you would have to check with local code inforcement on that but I doubt it

and should I drywall over it?

With regard to your other consideration of possibly putting in a gas fired HW tank this could be quite an issue since you will need fresh air supply for the burner. You will likely need drywall for a fire barrier.
    I'm sure there will be a lot of different considerations as far as building code requirments for a gas fired unit.

*** yellow for highlights sure doesn't work

Thank you all for the tons of good info!

Regarding closing in the water heater...

Since the current one is in the corner near the pedestrian door, I was going to build 2 more walls and hinge them at the wall that the pedestrian door is not mounted to and then again at the 90* corner of the box for ease of maintenance. Think of a bi-fold closet door on a much bigger scale.

I was wondering about ventilation if I decide to go with a gas water heater. Are there models out that use the double flue pipe that uses the center pipe for venting flue gases and the outer pipe for incoming air to burn? I thought that that might be a solution to the problem of ventilation. Would something like a through-the-door grate such as vertical interior (closet??) furnaces in some homes use be sufficient for ventilation? The garage door is rarely open because I don't park the car in there and I thought that the grate might stop or re-direct any breeze away from the pilot light.

Is there any such thing as an electronic ignition gas water heater? ie: no pilot light necessary?

We don't have power outages here very often but now, having said that, we will be plagued with them and more so if I do go with an electric water heater. I call it Jeff's Law.