+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question waterheater elements

i have an AOSmith PermaglasII Conservationist modelFSE52 series820 waterheater.upper element is 1500w and lower one is 1000w.the heater cannot keep up w/ one shower.can i change the elements to 4500w each to increase hot water supply?will tank itself be ok? 240v wired.

Default Re: waterheater elements

uh...btw, didn't realize i was posting on the joke board.nothing funny about a cold shower when it's your own...or the wifes'.

I'd first make sure both elements are working properly.

I'd bet the heater is fed with #10 cu wire. If you change the elements out to 4500's you will draw 37.5 amps if both are burning and # 10 is only good for 30 amps.

A cheap trick would change the lower element out to 1500w.

Edit: Women tend to be problematic on more than one level...... You may want to give that consideration as well.
    Last edited by NEC; 12-05-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: problematic women

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    I'd first make sure both elements are working properly.

I'd bet the heater is fed with #10 cu wire. If you change the elements out to 4500's you will draw 37.5 amps if both are burning and # 10 is only good for 30 amps.

A cheap trick would change the lower element out to 1500w.

Edit: Women tend to be problematic on more than one level...... You may want to give that consideration as well.
    For those of us who aren't good with math, if woman A starts talking at 9:15, and woman B starts talking at 9:20, tell how long will it be before the statement you made is wrong?

Ok, seriously now, where would two 1500 watt elements put the amps?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

First of all only one element at a time is every on in a properly functioning WH.

You would need to check the thermostatic control to see if it is rated at at least 19 amps or 4500 watts or more. Although it will heat the water faster it won't add significantly to the amount of time it takes to run out of hot water.

If that is a 50 gal tank you should have more than enough hot water for a 10 min shower and most showers are much less than that.

You could have other problems. One, the tank my be installed backward, that is the cold is on the hot side and the hot on the cold side. Another problem that can cause this is a broken of missing dip tube in the water heater.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    First of all only one element at a time is every on in a properly functioning WH.

You would need to check the thermostatic control to see if it is rated at at least 19 amps or 4500 watts or more. Although it will heat the water faster it won't add significantly to the amount of time it takes to run out of hot water.

If that is a 50 gal tank you should have more than enough hot water for a 10 min shower and most showers are much less than that.

You could have other problems. One, the tank my be installed backward, that is the cold is on the hot side and the hot on the cold side. Another problem that can cause this is a broken of missing dip tube in the water heater.

Jack
    ??? Jack may have hit it on the dip tude thing....... How is your dip tude? Could make all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Jack
    Not true on most electric water heaters, Jack.

If the WH is fed with a 30A 240v circuit the elements could be changed to 3000 watt elements and still not exceed 125%.

Question Re: waterheater elements

hi all.thanks for the advice.everything mentioned (wire,crossed pipes,and such)check out ok.i did not check anode rod though.seems like as good a place to start.how does it affect the amount of hot water in storage?

Quote Originally Posted by jmartin View Post
    hi all.thanks for the advice.everything mentioned (wire,crossed pipes,and such)check out ok.i did not check anode rod though.seems like as good a place to start.how does it affect the amount of hot water in storage?
    Friend, A 1000w lower element may save a ton of cash but will give you warm water about every day # 3.

lol! yeah,seems about right.it is a "Conservationist" model.so is 3000w the max i should go?