+ Reply to Thread

Default Smoothing Joint Compound - Wet Sponge or Sand?

Moving a gas pipe in my apartment required cutting out long sections of the wall and ceiling. My Dad's friend did a quickie patch job, advising me to smooth down the rough spots with a wet sponge after it dried.

Is this correct? Shouldn't I be sanding it smooth instead?

I gently used a wet sponge on part of the ceiling and all it seemed to do was expose the tape he used... and the tape has bubbled out in spots, causing more worry. Will going over that with an additional layer of compound be the best course?

Thanks in advance for any advice to the newbie...

Trish

Default Re: Smoothing Joint Compound - Wet Sponge or Sand?

Trish ... using a "moist" sponge does work ... I use it myself on many occasions when you don't want drywall dust spread everywhere.

The trick is to not over work the area or it will remove too much compound .... which can be done with sanding as well.
    The other thing is the sponge should be moist enough to soften the compound and not soak it and to gently work it.

The other thing is what type of compound is being used for the first couple of coats. Many times people will use finishing compound for the initial filler coats ... this is too soft and should only be used for the top or finish coat.

The first coat is the rough filler coat and when that dries take a putty knife and run it along the area to sc**** down the high points then apply the second coat to feather out the area , then repeat the process of scraping down the high spots and applying as many coats necessary until the finish coat. Then take your moist sponge and smooth out the area.

If the tape is bubbled you may have to cut out just that area and if using the paper tape put some compound on first and apply the paper tape and press it into the layer of compound. Then apply as many coats necessary to finish it.

If using the mesh tape then simply put it place and apply the compound overtop and continue on.

Hope this helps.

Yes I made sure it was only a damp sponge... not too wet. I think there was so little compound over the paper tape that it couldn't help but get exposed.

He used All-Purpose compound (Sheetrock brand with the green lid) for everything. Nice to know I can use either the sponge or sander.

Thanks!

your Dad's friend should have used Durabond self setting joint compound first then second coat and finish up with topping compound you don't need more then three coats. it sounds like you need to re tape.