+ Reply to Thread

Cool "DIY hot water recirculation systems"

I'm tired of wasting gallons of water and waiting for hot water from my faucets and would like to install a hot water recirculation systems in my house. I have PEX plumbing and would like any information you could provide on pumps made for this type of install or would I have to put regular fitting on the PEX to connect the pump. Or if Richard would like to come to my house and supervise the installation it would be very appreciative.

Default Re: "DIY hot water recirculation systems"

I think that it might be a little more complicated than how to connect the fittings.You have to have a return water line also.You can't recirculate the hot water without it.You'll have to run the return line from the pump to the farthest hot water outlet.Most houses aren't plumbed this way.If they are,they usually will already have a pump installed.How accesible is your plumbing?Do you have a crawlspace or a slab or an unfinished basement?It may not be a cost feasable option.Maybe a little more info would help.

do a search for D'mand. It can use the existing cold water line & doesn't require an additional return line.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvozza View Post
    I think that it might be a little more complicated than how to connect the fittings.You have to have a return water line also.You can't recirculate the hot water without it.You'll have to run the return line from the pump to the farthest hot water outlet.Most houses aren't plumbed this way.If they are,they usually will already have a pump installed.How accesible is your plumbing?Do you have a crawlspace or a slab or an unfinished basement?It may not be a cost feasable option.Maybe a little more info would help.
    If the pump is installed at the furthest point from the water heater it can use the cold line as a return line. I have an unfinished basement so getting to some of the plumbing is easy.

I believe what you have in mind was used in the Austin project. A motion sensor detected when someone entered a restroom, and a pump pushed a measured amount of cooled water from the hot side to the cold. No return line needed.

Can't help with the connection requirements. After battling Quest problems these past years, the mear mention of plastic plumbing gives me nightmares.

Here's a link with a couple of examples : http://www.carhil.com.au/

Personally I like the idea of the return line back to the water inlet of the HW tank.

Exclamation Re: "DIY hot water recirculation systems"

I agree with canuck. I would install a flow check onthe recirc line and the cold water inlet of the water heater. Also an appropriately sized expanion tank on the cold side as well. make sure its between the check and the water heater. your pump should be stainless. you will need a flange pack as well and there are some available with timers to customize the run time to your schedule. If you feel real frisky you can design the system with fall on your lines toward the hot water source and the return piped to the drain inlet. It will gravity flow and that is FREE. I have done seen this and repaired one and it works beautifully.

That Austin gadget is goofy. It is a retrofit gadget for people who planned poorly. It was a bad idea years before they looked at it. You get a constant supply of tepid water on the cold line. VERY silly.

Talking Hot Water Lobster: Tee best recirculation system!!!

I recommend a Hot Water Lobster instant hot water valve over any other recirculation system! I've had recirculation systems in my homes for over 8 years now. They've saved me a lot of time and money, but pump systems always caused me problems. I went through 3 pumps over the first 5 years! They were costly, noisy, and didn't last long enough.

I did some research and found the Hot Water Lobster that is pump free, creates no noise, and uses no electricity! Itís has a valve that automatically opens and closes based on your desired temperature setting. The Hot Water Lobster is only $179.95, has a 10-year warranty, uses your existing plumbing, and is very easy to install. It only took me 10 minutes. I bought one for my home and another for my cottage. It is great that I can keep my furnace off at the cottage during winter and not worry about my pipes freezing! I've had both units for 3 years now and am very impressed.

Here's their site:
    www.hotwaterlobster.com

i don't know about the hot water lobster but i do know about grundfos and the quality they have. I agree with the return line as the cold water line. that way there is no extra plumbing. the grundfos pump is installed at the hot water heater and at the furtherest location(s) you install a "crossover" piece. you can, and i do recomend you do, install more than one.

the link i found it at is another contractors site, but is full of good info. go to a plumbing supply house to purchase it.

http://www.rewci.com/whhohotwaci.html

Good luck. Process of elimination.