+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
    carpenter ants won't nest or tunnel without a moisture source. their presence indicates a moisture issue that must first be addressed. non-penetrating surface treatments won't last especially where moisture problems exist therefore a penetrating product compatible with wood was mentioned. the other posts contain additional information.

blown cellulose wouldn't be practical since as the poster indicated previous desire to easily remove, inspect, retreat and replace issues. since this has been indicated in other strings as a recurring problem offered one of several solutions that actually addressed the issues and concerns that the poster had previously raised in a series of posts on the same overall subject of insulation and carpenter ant invasion, ease of reinspection and continued effective pest control services.
    blah blah blah

Satellite nests do not require moisture laden areas.

Read this link with the section "Where they live"
    http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...ng/DK1015.html

Quote Originally Posted by normwantabe View Post
    When the previous owners built the garage they didn't but down a moisture barrier between the cement and framing. It looks like they put down some fibreglass insulation as a barrier. Should this be addressed?
    I don't know if your particular situation calls for a retrofit but in general you don't want to have wood directly in contact with- on or below- grade concrete. The best practice is to use a sill gasket beneath the bottom plate in order to break the capillary action between the concrete and wood.

SUPERJ - The sill is above ground about a foot so there is no contact with dirt, the vinyl siding hangs over the the bottom so there's nothing exposed the the elements. I believe the cement slab is about a foot thick. There is no moisture that I can see. Since the garage is built, what can I do now??

thanks

During my search for competative insulation bids, I discovered a company called Nu-Wool in Michigan that manufactures cellulose that resists mold and I'm told repels insects. The rep told me they are the only manufacturer in the country that uses a true boric acid as a fire retardant, which is what repels insects. I've never used their product myself, since the cost of boric acid also makes their product more expensive. Hence, they lost on the bid.