+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35

    Unhappy What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    I need to insulate our garage before setting up a work shop, at present there is no insulation so its all ready to go. I need to know what is the best insulation to use that would deter a possible invasion from the carpenter ants in the area. They invaded once 2 years ago, but with no insulation it wasn't a problem to get rid of the little @#*. Sooo, what is a good product to use??? Fiber glass they use as a highway, foam will give them a nice home - what other options are out there???

    Thanks so much, all past info has been greatly appreciated and acted on. Very sincerely Normwantabe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    first get rid of the moisture dry things out and prevent further accumulations in the wood.

    treat area with shell-guard all surfaces assure deep penetration.

    use borate treated insulation make sure you make provisions to keep it dry.

    use no spray foam or rigid foam.
    the recycled blue denim batts are borate treated.

    you have more than one post on this subject.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=3211

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Cellulose insulation is borate treated.

    You can also purchase a borate solution to spray around before you insulate (which both deters insects and inhibits rot and fungus). Brand names include TimBor and BoraCare.

    As already mentioned you want to eliminate moisture issues before you close up the wall.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anywhere where he says he has a moisture problem

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The deep South
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Quote Originally Posted by unregistered View Post

    you have more than one post on this subject.
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=3211
    " She who must be obeyed " has spoken . Consider yourself scolded .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anywhere where he says he has a moisture problem
    Eh. The eyes were playing tricks on me.

    Still, it's good advice in general to solve moisture problems

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    " She who must be obeyed " has spoken . Consider yourself scolded .
    You know, a couple of times over the last few days I'll go to the TOH front page, click on a question they've highlighted on the front page, and I'll get a "thread not found" message.

    Are they deleting threads spotlighted on the front page?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Love you guys

    I don't believe there is moisture problem (the base framing all looks dry), the little buggers climbed up to the second floor of the detached garage and made a home in the insulation of an unused garage door panel (there was no moisture/wet areas in the second floor if anything its blazing hot in the summer and freezing in the winter) the satellite community loved it. When the previous owners built the garage they didn't but down a moisture barrier between the cement and framing. It looks like they put down some fibreglass insulation as a barrier. Should this be addressed? How to retrofix before putting the insulation in and dry walling?????

    You don't have to be a guy to be a Normwantabe

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    Quote Originally Posted by normwantabe View Post
    Love you guys

    I don't believe there is moisture problem (the base framing all looks dry), the little buggers climbed up to the second floor of the detached garage and made a home in the insulation of an unused garage door panel (there was no moisture/wet areas in the second floor if anything its blazing hot in the summer and freezing in the winter) the satellite community loved it. When the previous owners built the garage they didn't but down a moisture barrier between the cement and framing. It looks like they put down some fibreglass insulation as a barrier. Should this be addressed? How to retrofix before putting the insulation in and dry walling?????

    You don't have to be a guy to be a Normwantabe
    sorry I did jump to conclusions on that one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    61

    Default Re: What is the best insulation product to deter bugs

    carpenter ants won't nest or tunnel without a moisture source. their presence indicates a moisture issue that must first be addressed. non-penetrating surface treatments won't last especially where moisture problems exist therefore a penetrating product compatible with wood was mentioned. the other posts contain additional information.

    blown cellulose wouldn't be practical since as the poster indicated previous desire to easily remove, inspect, retreat and replace issues. since this has been indicated in other strings as a recurring problem offered one of several solutions that actually addressed the issues and concerns that the poster had previously raised in a series of posts on the same overall subject of insulation and carpenter ant invasion, ease of reinspection and continued effective pest control services.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •