+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Washer drain problem

I recently purches my house which was built in the 50's. The previous home owner had installed a drain for the washing machine which flowed down approx 2ft then into a p trap then t'd into the drain for the tub sink next to it. The problem the previous home owner ran into was that it overflowed. Any suggestions on remedying this situation?

Default Re: Washer drain problem

remove the tee and install correct sanitary fittings, correcting pitch. as you describe it you have two p-traps in-line from the machine and creating a venting problem. each fixture should have its own single p-trap no additional traps between it (a fixture) and the main.

easiest solution would be to tear out this former owner's DIY project and have the machine discharge to the laundry sink making sure the hose has a dip before it is hung from the sink edge.

I would replace that T with a y joint so the water doesn't have an opportunity to back up the other direction and saturate the drain system.

My washer has the all in one box in the wall and there isn't a p trap in it at all it. I have all the plumbing diagrams for the house and it's a y connection to the main drain.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Debby you need to stop before you hurt some body. Every fixure must be trapped and vented. I don't believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by williams1492 View Post
    Well Mr Arrogant i.m. plummin, we don't believe YOU.

Don't you know it's extremely impolite and insulting to directly criticize people like that??

Maybe you just don't have any respect for women.

Debby's providing her input & it deserves respect.
    That's okay.

I live by 4 Toltec Agreements,
    ~Don't take anything personally is the most important,
    ~Don't make assumptions,
    ~Do your best
    ~Be impeccable in your word.

My house is probably an exception to the rule, so I relayed my experience. My house certainly has a lot of quirks, and the laundry drain is vented it just doesn't have a p trap. lol, actually, I have 2 laundry areas too so that makes my house really really goofy. There's one in the garage, where I suspect it was originally designed to go and then one in the mud room off the garage. gdogandbj certainly doesn't have to follow my suggestion.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Look I don't want to start a fight with anyone especially women. I love and respect women. For confidentiality and security I will not expound the details my respect for women.

But you look here you two and anyone else for that matter I have first hand experience with half wits and crooks that feel complex sanitary issues are for anyolddoityourselfer and the when it is a royal useless mess they have passed the problem along and evenmade money of stuff they oughta be horse dragged for. Some times its not that bad i.e. "Where is that smell coming from" or "This water tastes funny." and sometimes its somone or even some people are killed i.e. " Where'd that dude go? He was right here." or " This water tastes funny".

Take a look at any code book for plumbing and you will find that what I have stated is correct. Our area uses the International Plumbing Code (IPC) and I consider it to be rather simplified and liberal in application. And in the first rules of the section concerning vents and the section concerning traps my assertions are validated.

I apply an old rule to myself because of the seriousness of any trade. If you dont know what you are talking about then hush up and learn from the expert. I've cleaned this addage up a bit out of respect for women. Most Tradesmen speak kinda rough.

debby,

The concern here is ......if you don't have a trap in this drain/standpipe of yours.......what's preventing the sewer/septic gases from entering? (That's what traps do and is why they're required.)

i.m.plummin,
    Williams1492 remarks are always over the top and although "Tradesmen speak kinda rough" a little diplomacy goes a long way. We must all remember that this forum is contributed to by professionals, DIYers, beginners, and just plane interested parties. If you had corrected Debbie's post and given an explanation like the one ****hiller presented it would have been a lot more diplomatic and informative than the crass remarks you are sometimes prone to make.(no insult intended) Good advice and information is always welcome, corrections of errors are expected. Just remember you may be speaking to a lady not one of the guys in the back room of a bar.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm gonna chime in one more time here and then I'll let it go. I did NOT suggest that there not be a p trap. I just suggested that a directional y replace the t to keep water from being able to back up into that one area.

I understand the need for the p trap and I don't know why my "newish" laundry set up doesn't have one. I do count myself extremely lucky that I don't have the sewer gas problem and it makes me wonder about the drain in the floor in the hotwater tank closet.
    Debby in Oklahoma

debby,

The fact that you don't have any septic/sewer gases entering this "trapless" arrangement....seems to indicate that there *may* be a trap somewhere farther downstream on the main house-drain that is serving the fixtures upstream....or at least this one.

I'm confident that if sewer gases were entering....you'd smell it.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-18-2008 at 09:23 PM.