+ Reply to Thread

Default updating very small kitchen on a very small budget

We have recently downsized and have a very small kitchen with very dark cabinets. The kitchen is 12'1/2" long on one side and 9'1/2" on the other (there is a doorway on this side). It is only 4'6" wide. (It only takes 2 steps from sink to stove or refridge.) There is a pantry at the end of the longest side. On top of all that it had a drop ceiling with flourescent lights which we have taken out and replaced with updated fixtures.
    We were thinking of cutting out the center of the cabinet doors ( arched top)and putting in frosted glass just on the top ones and then painting all of the upper cabinets off white and leaving the lower ones alone. I am trying to make this kitchen look larger and brighter. Anyone have any comments as to what this would do for the space or have any other ideas?

Default Re: updating very small kitchen on a very small budget

the frosted glass will look good. keep the kitchen in the brighter colors and lighter colors to make it look larger. most cabinets center panel floats in the frame so you can take it out. our you can order door frames for glass from rockler.com or other cabinet door places for not to much outlay

under cabinet lighting both task type at the face/front side and display type at the wall side can help make a short galley type kitchen seem less claustrophobic and cave-like.

low level display or ambient lighting in those uppers behind your new glass panel doors may also help the kitchen feel less closed in and gloomy. you could control all three circuits with a three-switch combo switch in one gang postion.

Don't try to cut the arch in the frosted glass. Clear out a straight area on the back of the top piece of the door with a router. This will save on glass because cutting it and making a mistake is more expensive than having a little extra glass.

If you do cut the center panel out and create a place for the glass to sit, you can use silicone to hold it in place or just glazier's points.

We're thinking of doing the same thing. Only my husband is a picture framer so we're going to use picture molding and stainless steel sheets for the inserts. It seems silly but we wanted more quirk in our kitchen which seems just like yours.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thanks for some great advise. I think the lighting in the cabinets would help a lot. How is that done without making holes in the cabinets to connect them all together? I also was thinking about putting rope lighting behind crown molding around the recessed ceiling. Maybe it would make the ceiling look higher.
    Thanks for letting me know not to cut the arched top. That would be hard to do i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyvs View Post
    lighting in the cabinets would help a lot. How is that done without making holes in the cabinets to connect them all together?
    if you plan on powering them with electricity either line or low voltage some wiring is going to be involved either fed from under the cabinets and up through the cabinet floors or from behind the wall side backs, from the tops of the carcass behind your crown moulding perhaps or between the carcass walls.

if you insist on no wires you'd be stuck with battery powered lighting which would be a pain.

no way to power otherwise without a wire path.

since you're installing glass in the upper doors be sure to install cushions on the doors where the doors meet the carcasses, felt pads or self adhesive cork dots, or clear siliconized caulk dots work well. be sure to use safety or heat tempered glass or consider a glass substitute.
    Last edited by unregistered; 01-31-2008 at 01:34 PM.

I am also in the process of updating my kitchen on a budget. The inside of our cabinets were not finished & always had shelf paper. To brighten it up & finish the inside, I used white vinyl floor tiles. These went in easier and are much easier to keep clean.

You need to trick the eye to go from side to side to make your space seem wider. You can put a wide-striped (keep the two colors close with low contrast so it doesn't look clownish) effect on the floor with cork, vinyl or tile. A diagonally-patterned floor will also help to trick the eye.

The other thing to do is to make your ceiling more of an accent by painting it a light color or putting, tin or beadboard on it. Whenever the eye is uninterrupted, it perceives the space as being bigger.

My final tip is to put sparkle in the kitchen with glass or crackled tiles, sparkly knobs, etc. Shiny kitchens look lighter and brighter than matte kitchens.

Tara Veith, CKD
    TaraVeithDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Don't try to cut the arch in the frosted glass. Clear out a straight area on the back of the top piece of the door with a router. This will save on glass because cutting it and making a mistake is more expensive than having a little extra glass.

If you do cut the center panel out and create a place for the glass to sit, you can use silicone to hold it in place or just glazier's points.

We're thinking of doing the same thing. Only my husband is a picture framer so we're going to use picture molding and stainless steel sheets for the inserts. It seems silly but we wanted more quirk in our kitchen which seems just like yours.

HI,

Thanks for information