+ Reply to Thread

Default water heater leaking

The pressure relief valve on my hot water heater started leaking out of the overflow pipe after the city repaired a broken water line in my yard.I replaced it and the new valve leaks as well.Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next?Thanks in advance,Shawn

Default Re: water heater leaking

When the water heater heats the water, it expands and makes the pressure go way up. The overflow valve is doing its job. Chances are that the problem with the waterline in your yard was providing the necessary relief for this excess pressure. Now that it is repaired, the valve in the water heater is taking care of that now.

There is a kit available at most hardware and building supply stores that is a small accumulator tank. This is similar to the kind of water tank used on a well system, only smaller. It goes in the hot water line where it exits the water heater. It uses an air charge to absorb the expansion of the water without increasing the pressure in the line and inside the water heater.

This has been featured on Ask This Old House. Here is a link to the product they featured.

http://www.amtrol.com/thermxtrol.htm

If the repair done on the water line was the installation of a backflow valve, you will need this or something like it.

Default Re: water heater leaking

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_h_25 View Post
    The pressure relief valve on my hot water heater started leaking out of the overflow pipe after the city repaired a broken water line in my yard.I replaced it and the new valve leaks as well.Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next?Thanks in advance,Shawn
    The valve you're referring to is the Temperature/Pressure Relief Valve ( TPRV )

The first simple thing to check is the temperature setting on the water heater ----- if it's above 120F turn it down.

I have a sneaky suspicion your water pressure may have changed with the repaired water line. Check the water pressure ---- if it's over 65 lbs you might need a Pressure Regulator Valve ( PRV ) for your home water feed line.

Or you may require an expansion tank installed at the water heater.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush