+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove old wall-mounted sink?

I have the original cast iron wall mounted sink in my 1913 home, and need to remove it and am unsure how exactly it is secured. I can see by using a mirror and flashlight up the back that there seems to be an iron mounting bracket that runs most of the width of the sink. How it is attached to that (or more importantly, how to detach it) is still a mystery. Would appreciate any assistance, thanks!

Default Re: How to remove old wall-mounted sink?

All of the wall mounted sinks I have seen are hung on a metal or cast piece like French Cleat then two bolts are screwed in on the underside though the back. You remove the two bolts, disconnect the water and drain lines and left up on the sink.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i'd suggest disconnecting the plumbing first, removing any caulk, putty and/or mortar at the top edge and sides of the sink. next remove the front support legs if exist, then with a partner supporting the front and weight of the sink loosen the mounting screws/bolts from the wall mount beveled supports. now it should be safe to lift the sink holding it level, pulling straight up with the back of the sink still against the wall until you clear the brackets.

some older sinks are actually plumbed through and mounted from the reverse side of the wall, if you have a plumbers access door opposite (like in a closet or such) you should explore there first.

The above posts are excellent & should be followed.

The only question is how big is this sink??

Cast iron is very heavy & by all means don't attempt it without a helper.

Do you have the dimensions of the sink, & perhaps a photo or two would be helpful.

As noted, once the two retaining screws & water pipes & drains are removed, the sink can be lifted straight up & away from the wall.

But if this is a large cast iron sink, it can weigh several hundred pounds & some kind of sturdy wood bench, metal table, etc. should be made handy to prop under the sink as it is lifted off the wall bracket.

In other words, avoid getting any part of yourself under this thing to avoid injury.

If you use a bench/sturdy table, a piece of 2 X 4 can be used as a fulcrum/leverage to budge the sink off the bracket without getting under it.

The site below illustrates the different types of brackets found on sinks, & other tips on removal.

http://www.creativehomeowner.com/ind...ectid=chplm161
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 01-30-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks to all for the input. Jack to answer your question it is about 21w x 18d x 12h. I don't have a photo but I found what appears to be the same sink on ebay (though mine has the brass soap dish):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-High-Bac...QQcmdZViewItem

I also saw another ebay listing,

which has now expired, and they showed the cleat bracket removed and sitting on the ground, it looked exactly like what I can see behind my sink. The only thing is, I cannot see where there are bolts/screws to remove. Where the top of the backsplash sits on the cleat is a very tight spot, don't see how I could get in there with tools anyway. I did receive a reply from the 2nd ebay seller that once the plumbing is disconnected and the caulk/paint seal broken, it just lifts up and out. I'm hoping that's what this one is. Will definitely have a helper on hand for the hoisting part.

you do not remove the wall mounting cleat or bracket before lifting out the sink. you might need to loosen the screws or bolts a bit but no more than say a half or single turn.

have a wooden mallet or rubber mallet handy if you need to give the sink a little help from the underside with an initial loosening tap upward, do not strike the sink underside directly but via a block of wood. a short 2x4" or 2x6" works nicely. this is done carefully and only if necessary due to old gunk getting between the sink top splash and the wall.

then you lift the sink up. if tile was installed above you may have to remove this first because the sink will have to be drawn flat against the original wall plane and up until it has cleared the bracket keys completely.

after you have removed the sink from the wall you will be able to return to the area and remove the supporting hardware.

using a socket driver with a 1/4" socket with a flat screw driver bit will work to reverse slightly a screw through the bracket.