+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy Top Coat of Paint

I am having trouble getting a smooth top coat of paint on my walls. The walls are drywall and the first 2 coats went on great. I needed to do a 3rd due to incomplete coverage. I painted a deep red over a light cream color. I used a roller and after the 3rd coat you could see several areas where I had been with the roller. My thought is that the paint dried so quickly that is why I have the roller marks. I tried doing touch ups, but then I created more brush marks around the edges of the area. I did get smooth coverage over the roller marks. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Top Coat of Paint

use a flatter napped roller for a smoother finish.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Paints differ so much that I can't speak for that without seeing and trying what you're using. But what I think you're running into is a paint application issue. Firstly, it's always better to apply paint wet-to-wet; that is do not let the brush cut-in dry before you roll into it. Secondly, you might need to 'back-roll' this paint. This is where you apply the paint, then with the roller as-is, you go back to where you just rolled and re-roll it in one direction, top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top, all the same way and overlapping each roll 50%. Dip the roller and do the next section similarly till you're done. Roll with even pressure and don't try to 'stretch out' the paint coverage. Even if the can says it will cover 3-400 sq,ft, don't believe it. The usual is 250-275 if you want decent covereage. If you are seeing 'sausages' at the edges of where you've rolled, you're using too much pressure or your roller cover isn't correct for that paint. You can usually mitigate this when you backroll by applying a twisting force to the roller, keeping the front edge of the roller(toward the unpainted area) pressed harder than the back edge(where you've painted)which should barely touch. Your paint might also be drying faster than your painting speed. If that's the case you either have to speed up or get a helper so one can cut-in while the other rolls. A lower room temperature also inhibits drying speed which might help if this is the case. A properly applied latex paint will self-level as it dries giving you a smooth surface but it won't self-level anything extreme(like the roller 'sausages' I mentioned). I hope this helps!

MC

Deep reds are notorious for bad coverage. They are also loaded with pigment, as much as 14 or 15 ounces per gallon. The liquid in which the colorants are suspended also slows down the drying dramatically. Behr Paint recommends that for each ounce of colorant, that you give one hour of drying time between coats.
    Try giving the paint at least several hours to cure, not merely dry. Then paint with a quality roller while keeping a wet edge. Don't cut in all the edges first and come back and roll over paint which has already set. This double coating will affect coverage, irregular sheen at the edges and even color variations.

reds are very tough, what brand of paint are you using. it is best also to prime first with the primer tinted to the red then roll 2 coats of a sherwin williams, benjimum moore top of the line paint. helps. these are ones I have used with good luck.

Sounds expensive. Paint over everything you have done up to this point with a gray primer, let it dry then recoat with your red paint. One to two coats max will do the trick. The gray undercoat will work.