+ Reply to Thread

Default What to do with concrete block basement walls

Hi and thank you so very much for any advice you can give us regarding our basement walls.

We live in So. California where basements are rare - but we do have a 650 sf block wall basement that has that powdery flaky residue (on the lowest bricks) left over from years ago when the basement flooded. We had the problem (of water getting into the basement) professional fixed 5 years ago and the basement has been dry since.

We are putting our house up for sale and would like to make the block walls in the basement look attractive without spending a fortune. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Catt

Default Re: What to do with concrete block basement walls

I would suggest you clean them, then add waterproofing surface treatments, just in case the water heater leaks in the future.
    Debby in Oklahoma

There is no water heater in the basement - the water came in through the windows but it is permanently fixed. We also want the walls to look good (the rest of the house has been beautifully remodeled and decorated), as we are selling our home. Could you be more specific about what type of product you are talking about - we are complete novices at this...thanks again.
    Last edited by Catt; 01-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.

It took a little work but I found it there's a paint called "Drylok" which will cover the stains and bi-products of water getting in. Follow the prep instructions to the letter for a great result.

The other part, about the water heater leaking was a joke. Honestly, you have concrete walls in a basement therefore you can expect that any moisture from upstairs will probably get down there.

So doing this, will be a great indication that you're looking out for future generations. Weird things can happen. Toilets over flow, pipes burst, and sinks leak.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thanks so much Debbie...and you are right about water from upstairs...I didn't even think of that because we have never had a problem - it has always been water from the outside...you can't believe how nice it is not to worry about rain getting in and we have had sooo much rain lately. I'll look for the Drylock - thanks again!

I'm getting ready to start the same project. I plan to use Drylok. In my area, Menards is switching from Drylok to another brand so 1) there are other products out there 2) Menards had Drylok on clearance ($70 down from $94 for five gallons).

Also, you probably want paint rollers with a thick nap to get paint in all the grooves and bumps faster.

I've been in a few basements in my neighborhood that have been painted and boy, it really brightens up the area.

Good luck!

Good idea bout the brushes - thanks so much! Good luck too.