+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Using Bamboo plywood for kitchen countertops

Hi, My wife and I are doing a budget kitchen remodel. We had decided on using wooden butcher block countertops (1.25-1.5" Beech), but then saw some incredible bamboo plywood (0.75") that we've now got our hearts set on. The bamboo is not cheap, but it is gorgeous.

My question is how do we finish a bamboo plywood surface. My wife does occassionally bake so she wants to be able to knead or roll out dough directly on the countertop.

For the butcher block we were thinking a linseed oil product (Tried & True makes one, as does Ikea?). Would this solution also work for the bamboo?

What if we wanted to do an undermount sink? My guess is that this is not highly recommended, but that at the minimum we'd need a much heavier duty finish.

Does anyone have any experience with bamboo countertops? Or wood and undermount sinks? Any gotchas with wood counters in general?

Thanks, Tony

Default Re: Using Bamboo plywood for kitchen countertops

I don't think that Linseed oil is a good idea. It can go rancid and
    "easily oxidized, and rapidly becomes rancid with an unpleasant odour unless stored in the refrigerator. Even when kept under cool conditions it has a shelf life of only a few weeks. Oil with an unpleasant or rancid odour should be discarded. Rancid oils contribute to the formation of free radicals and may be carcinogenic. Oxidation of flax seed oil is major commercial concern, and antioxidants may be added to prevent rancidification."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

I would try to find the stuff they use to finish bamboo flooring as long as it's okay to be around food.
    Debby in Oklahoma

We wouldn't use pure fresh lineseed oil (aka Flax Oil), but rather one of the commercial products.

My wife is pretty sensitive to chemical smells, so most of the recent wood work done in our house has been finished with Tried & True (http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products.htm) - a traditional linseed oil based finish. So far it has held up extremely well, looks beautiful, did not have an unpleasant smell while drying, and most definitely does not smell rancid Based on our limited experience, I highly recommend the Tried & True products

I'm afraid to put polyurathane / spar varnish on a countertop where it is almost certainly going to get cut / nicked eventually. Mineral oil is a possibility, I just don't know if there are any health reprocussions from it's use on a food prep surface.

I've also heard of lots of people using "Tung Oil" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil) but I don't know anything about that either - especially in regards to sealing well enough to have the end grain exposed to water as in an undermount sink.

Thanks, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by onhiatus View Post
    Mineral oil is a possibility, I just don't know if there are any health reprocussions from it's use on a food prep surface.

I have used mineral oil on butcher blocks, wood cutting boards, wooden salad bowls, wooden utensils for over 30 years.

Still kick'n