+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation wiring problems is older home

we recently purchased a new home..., **THIS house has a older fuse box with only three circuts in the home...only 3 fuses, and everyhting works, (with exception, hot h2o is on its own box). We had a fuse @ the transformer (on pole) go, and the light co. came out and fixed it.. we were only getting 120v in the house.
    now one circuit, (bedroom) is down. I took my non-contact voltage dectetor and it showed hot, when i used my multi-meter it showd zero volts. although the ohms side (resistance) showed up correctly, there is no juice and the fuse is good, i even replaced it just to be sure... dont know where to go from here, as it stands i have 246v @ the top side of the box and 243v at the bottom side where the fuse for the circuit in question is located??? need help

Default Re: wiring problems is older home

You may have an open neutral, loss of power is not always the hot wire.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's true,I have seen more problems with loose neutrals then loose hots. The meter may show good voltage,but that sometimes changes when there is a load on the circuit.

Post Re: wiring problems is older home

i pluged one of those 4.98 testers in that i thought was suposed to tellme if i had an "open" hot, netural, or gnd, but just like the multi meter, it showd ZERO, no lights no nothing, I pulled out all the outlets and check the contacts, they were all fine, and check the connections at the box, they were fine too, i am at a total loss and need help....the suloution has got to be there, i just cant see it !!!

If you have power leaving the panel but have no power in the bedroom,there is a broken wire somewhere.It may be in light box or outlet box.It may be in an attic or crawlspace or even in a wall.You should contact an electrician if you don't know what you're looking for.

thanks, thats what i thought, i can run new 12-2/gnd, myself, just didnt know what if any, other things it might be, these older homes can have little bugs and things that you dont see in newer homes with newer types of wiring, i already removed about 150' of alm. wiring from the outbulding and kitchen....thanks again for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyintraining View Post
    i pluged one of those 4.98 testers in that i thought was suposed to tellme if i had an "open" hot, netural, or gnd, but just like the multi meter, it showd ZERO, no lights no nothing, I pulled out all the outlets and check the contacts, they were all fine, and check the connections at the box, they were fine too, i am at a total loss and need help....the suloution has got to be there, i just cant see it !!!
    Those three light or led testers are not the very reliable. They require hot and at least a good ground or a good neutral to light any of the lights. If there is no ground or neutral none of the lights would be on and the instructions for the unit says that means the hot is open which may not be true.
    One of the easiest ways to see if you have hot but no neutral is to run an extension cord from a known good out let, plug one lead of your meter in the neutral of the extension cord the other lead to the hot in the dead outlet, then plug your meter into the hot on the extension cord and the neutral of the bad outlet.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-27-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks, i haddent thought of that...i guese in either case i am going to have to run new wires to the outlets.. thanks again for the advise... ~Krakcer