+ Reply to Thread

Default Removing thinset/adhesive from wall

We have removed old tile from our bathroom walls and have found either old thinset or old adhesive stuck to the walls. I have tried Goo Gone and it doesn't touch it. I have tried a sc****r but am not getting it all off. Any ideas about how to remove this from the walls? It must be on the walls about 40 years and it is a plaster wall that it is stuck to.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    wwinger

Default Re: Removing thinset/adhesive from wall

I used a wallpaper steamer and a putty knife to soften and sc**** a thick layer of adhesive behind plastic wall tiles.

Thinset not vinal sp. that is has set up, I'm looking for a removal method myself. I have tried wire brushes, no luck & sand blasting little luck. if anyone knows how to remove from roughf tile I would love to know

Quote Originally Posted by wwinger View Post
    We have removed old tile from our bathroom walls and have found either old thinset or old adhesive stuck to the walls. I have tried Goo Gone and it doesn't touch it. I have tried a sc****r but am not getting it all off. Any ideas about how to remove this from the walls? It must be on the walls about 40 years and it is a plaster wall that it is stuck to.
    Thanks for any assistance.
    wwinger
    It's best to identify it, if at all possible.

If it's dried solvent based adhesive then soaking it in a similar based solvent, i.e. spirit, oil or water will do it.

If it's resin/catalyst (epoxy) or cement based you'll have to sc**** it.

Either way you probably won't achieve a finished surface upon removal. Some rework of the plaster surface will probably be required. Just try and minimize it of course.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good Luck,

Joe
    Last edited by JosephBrian; 02-11-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    A wise man once said: "In an unknown universe, it's a fool that believes his conclusions are definitive."