I am in the later stages of finishing my basement and would like some advice on carpet installation. I have spoken to several contractors, friends, carpet installers... and there seems to be no best practice approach to installation that will ensure it is installed securely and with a proper vapor barrier.

I have been told that installing tackless directly into concrete is not a good idea for two reasons. First... tackless strips are not made of pressure treated wood... and my understanding is that any wood that comes into direct contact with masonry must be pressure treated. Second... I have been told that tackless will not hold in concrete event if nailed or masonry screws are used for the installation.

My contractor and another friend have suggested that I install 1/2 inch strips of pressure treated plywood around the bottom place of my framing into which tackless can be installed. By securing this plywood with Ramset nails... I can be assured that the tackless will have a proper base for secure installation. If I install a 3/8 inch pad with my burberry carpet... the two will be nearly the same height to this should not pose a problem.

Any comments or suggestions on this topic would be welcome.

Also... what is the consensus out there about the best way to treat the raw concrete floor before applying padding (with vapor barrier attached) and carpeting over the concrete? Do I need to seal or paint the concrete as an additional vapor barrier?