+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Preferred height of chair rail

bp21901 .... sweet

Looks like some tricky cuts around the window as well ... nice job.
    Are you using a wet saw?

just very slow progress
    It takes as long as it takes ... for a good job.

That window sill was tricky enough to require cutting a second tile!!

I bought a low cost 7" wet saw at HF for this project ~$60. My FIL will also be using it for their kitchen reno in a couple months so it was a worthwhile buy. Works fine as long as I feed the tile slowly. I watched eBay and Craigslist for about 3 months and never saw one for less than $50 so I figured I would spring for the extra $10 (livin' large I am!).

About 1/4 of the way done...only another 9 hours (at my snails pace) to get them all on the wall and then the grouting & sealing...woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
    bp

You mentioned "final skim coat" in your reply. I am wondering if I should try to skim over my heavy knock-down texture or do as a diy friend suggested and wet then sc**** the old knock-down off the wall.

Anyone here have any thoughts?

Thanks
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=4429

Here is a link to another thread talking about the same issue as you have. Hope this helps. My "final skim coat" was referring to feathering out the seams and repairs that I had previously fixed with hot mud. A much different scenario than yours.

That window sill was tricky enough to require cutting a second tile!!
    That's acceptable

and then the grouting & sealing...woohoo!
    Oh yeah ... grouting .... not my favorite job

More progress pic's....
    Finished the 14' wall tonight and turned the corner on the short wall until I emptied the mastic bucket. I have the 12' wall and about 3' on the short wall so I guess I'm halfway done setting the tile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08470A.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08471A.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08472A.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	827  

Now you're clipping along.

Say when you finish there come on up to the Great White North .... my kitchen reno could use a tile back splash.... pack a parka.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Say when you finish there come on up to the Great White North .... my kitchen reno could use a tile back splash.... pack a parka.
    Funny you should mention a trip north....
    I just had to decline a trip to Quebec City, my passport isn't up to date and I didn't have enough time to get it renewed before the trip. Can't say I was too disappointed to avoid heading so far north this early, July or August would be ok, but not early March!

I'd rather be heading south this time of the year!

Yep ... good thing since they had around 15 inches of snow dumped around that area.

I'd rather be heading south this time of the year!
    Me to.

Almost got the 12' wall done tonight. Still have to decide how I am going to run them into the door trim. I may make a border the same width as the bullnose that goes on top between the upper cabinet and the door trim. I would then run the diagonals to the border or I may just run the diagonals into the door trim and leave out the border. I'll tape them up tomorrow and see how each looks.

I also have the short wall to finish yet, its about 1/2 way done. Only one more receptacle to cut around. I should be able to finish hanging them tomorrow night and then start grouting over the weekend.

You can see the chair rail at the end of the counter. That was what started this thread asking about the height to install it. I made the top of the chair rail flush with the top of the counter to carry the tile all the way to the door trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08475a.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08477a.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	829  

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    You can see the chair rail at the end of the counter. That was what started this thread asking about the height to install it. I made the top of the chair rail flush with the top of the counter to carry the tile all the way to the door trim.
    Excellent choice!

When you get done with this tile and trim, and canuk's tile and trim, I've got some tile and trim you're welcome to come tackle. You know what they say, practice makes perfect! (hey, don't kill the messenger ... )