+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Preferred height of chair rail

I am going to be installing some chair rail and was wondering about the height to place it. It will be a "break" in the wall for color scheme purposes, just paint not wainscoting. It will not be functional as far as protection from the backs of chairs. The ceiling in the room is a cathedral going from 74 up to 12 at the center. Only half the room will have the chair rail, the other half is kitchen cabinets. The halves are nicely divided by doorways so there is a great start/stop point for the chair rail.

I am looking at placing it ~32 from the floor since that aligns with a window sill. I have seen some design write ups that recommend a 36 - 40 height, others that recommend 1/3 the height of the wall. I am weak on the design / color scheme side of a project and thought I would ask what others have seen and done and the advantages & drawbacks.

Default Re: Preferred height of chair rail

I'd recommend going with a 36" +/- and inch or two because it's visually more attractive. The nice thing is that you can test out which you like better by placing 2" painters tape on the wall at the different heights. This will allow you to choose the height that appeals to you most before ever cracking a can of paint.

my kitchen has it at the same level as the top of the kitchen cabinets, that's 32". It's an awkward sight line for me. Unfortunately the same height is running throughout the house and it either makes my furniture look too short or too tall.

Since it is in a kitchen I would suggest you line it up with the counter tops using the same thickness as well to really have a continuous line around the room.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Ditto Sprucey.

32-38 is fine. line it up so the top of the chair rail is the top of the counter in the kitchen which is usually 36. you can always tack a piece up and stand back and look at it. the eye is the best source of apealing looks.

There is always the ****en Mean:

"Do unto chair rail ..."

No, wait that's no it.

The ****en Mean is a ratio found in nature that is a mathematical definition of aesthetic proportion. Google it for the best explanation. I think Wikipedia's is pretty good.

Almost got the 12' wall done tonight. Still have to decide how I am going to run them into the door trim. I may make a border the same width as the bullnose that goes on top between the upper cabinet and the door trim. I would then run the diagonals to the border or I may just run the diagonals into the door trim and leave out the border. I'll tape them up tomorrow and see how each looks.

I also have the short wall to finish yet, its about 1/2 way done. Only one more receptacle to cut around. I should be able to finish hanging them tomorrow night and then start grouting over the weekend.

You can see the chair rail at the end of the counter. That was what started this thread asking about the height to install it. I made the top of the chair rail flush with the top of the counter to carry the tile all the way to the door trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08475a.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08477a.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	829  

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    You can see the chair rail at the end of the counter. That was what started this thread asking about the height to install it. I made the top of the chair rail flush with the top of the counter to carry the tile all the way to the door trim.
    Excellent choice!

When you get done with this tile and trim, and canuk's tile and trim, I've got some tile and trim you're welcome to come tackle. You know what they say, practice makes perfect! (hey, don't kill the messenger ... )

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    When you get done with this tile and trim, and canuk's tile and trim, I've got some tile and trim you're welcome to come tackle. You know what they say, practice makes perfect! ()
    I do need the practice, this is my first tile experience. Although I did get to work the wet saw on another project, somebody else was setting and grouting.

I should have started with your guys projects and learned from all my mistakes before starting my own!!

Canuk doesn't have a shot at getting me up there until his temps don't start with a "-". If you're temps are warmer than here right now (low 50's today) you have a chance!

I should have started with your guys projects and learned from all my mistakes
    before starting my own!!
    LOL .... that's the way ... practise on someone else's

Canuk doesn't have a shot at getting me up there until his temps don't start with a "-".
    Geez ... it only hurts for the first five minutes or so .... then the numbness sets in it's all OK