+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engineered Granite vs. Natural

I want to put granite countertops in my kitchen. I am debating between natural granite versus an engineered granite. Does anyone have any experience with Granite Transformations? It seems to be similar to Stonemark (protected by Permashield. The Granite Transfomation is somewhat cheaper (I understand it is a thinner slab) and it overlays on your current counter tops so you don't have to pay for the demolition. A friend, of mine, was concerned about the weight on the cabinets without any additional support being added. Any thoughts and experiences out there with this product or a similar one? JD

Default Re: Engineered Granite vs. Natural

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I want to put granite countertops in my kitchen. I am debating between natural granite versus an engineered granite. Does anyone have any experience with Granite Transformations? It seems to be similar to Stonemark (protected by Permashield. The Granite Transfomation is somewhat cheaper (I understand it is a thinner slab) and it overlays on your current counter tops so you don't have to pay for the demolition. A friend, of mine, was concerned about the weight on the cabinets without any additional support being added. Any thoughts and experiences out there with this product or a similar one? JD
    after looking at both web sites, there is a world of difference between the two. stonemark is dealing with 100 percent granite. the permashield is where the stone is heated and covered with a resin prior to the face being polished out. this is especially nice with the more porous stones but will discolor in outdoor installations. grantie transformations is where they take crushed stone and put it in an acrylic medium which then is made into countertops. now while it too has a market value you will not find the same beauty that you find in true natural stone products. also when they say 95 percent natural stone, their percentage is by weight not volume as far as cost difference I wouldn't have an idea of what it is going in your area. our shop doesn't handle this specific product, my preference is by far natural stone it holds up far longer than any man made product will, you figure your natural stone counter tops were stones in a mountain thousands of years ago and probally longer. acrylic counters also can discolor if in dirrect sunlight as well as some will develop blisters if hot post are continually put on the surface, problems natural stone doesn't have

Stonemark is real granite. Granite Transformations is fake stone. Also, Stonemark has lots of exotic colors and is protected from stains by PermaShield. Definitely go with Stonemark. If you don't want to go through the Home Depot, also take a look at Everlife granite countertops.

I would not worry about the additional weight unless your cabinets are in bad condition.

Engineered stone is held together with a polymer where natural stone is not. If you choose natural stone, just make sure you use a quality sealer and apply it once a year. You'll be fine.

I would not put a counter over a counter. Just not the right way to do it. The cost of demo will be a small price to pay for a quality, long lasting job.

If you go with Everlife or Stonemark, you won't need a sealer.

Existing granite countertops or new granite countertops from fabricators can be sealed permanently with a lifetime warranty and maintenance free that you donít have to wipe up spills immediately and can use ammonia or bleach to clean when sealed with Granite Shield. You also have the option to purchase presealed granite with a 10 to 15 year limited warranty which you have to immediately wipe up spills by Stonemark By Innovative Stone with Permashield sold by Home Depot, Everlife By Innovative Stone with Permashield, Granite Certified By DuPont, Cosentino Sensa with Sensaguard that uses Dry Treat, Artisan Stone Collection. Be sure to check out the use and care webpage or directions of each before making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldHomes View Post
    Existing granite countertops or new granite countertops from fabricators can be sealed permanently with a lifetime warranty and maintenance free that you donít have to wipe up spills immediately and can use ammonia or bleach to clean when sealed with Granite Shield. You also have the option to purchase presealed granite with a 10 to 15 year limited warranty which you have to immediately wipe up spills by Stonemark By Innovative Stone with Permashield sold by Home Depot, Everlife By Innovative Stone with Permashield, Granite Certified By DuPont, Cosentino Sensa with Sensaguard that uses Dry Treat, Artisan Stone Collection. Be sure to check out the use and care webpage or directions of each before making a decision.
    have you ever read their exclusions? they say in their exclusions that they don't warrent any oil based stains. which is the majority of the stains that are going to happen in the kitchen.

Which are you referring to? Granite Shield doesn't have retrictions especially oil.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldHomes View Post
    Which are you referring to? Granite Shield doesn't have retrictions especially oil.
    for granite shield their warranty says they don't warrant against etching from acidic liquids or alcohol.

It says calcite based stones. Only about 2 granites have that which are Absolute Black and Blue Bahia. "Granite Shield is etch-proof on granite and we back that up with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Absolute Black and Blue Bahia can etch because they have calcite in them."

Other stones such as marble and travetine "Granite Shield will reduce the etching on your marble and travertine up to 80% and Granite shield has etch removal polishes which take about 5 minutes to remove an etch or repolish."