+ Reply to Thread

Default Best caulk to use to fill settlement cracks in walls?

I recently bought an older home and one room appears to have a thin crack in one wall and in the ceiling. I assume it is from settlement since I do not see any other cracks anywhere else in the home. Looking for suggestions on what the best type of caulk or other product that should be used to fill these cracks before I paint so I don't have to do this every 6 months. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Best caulk to use to fill settlement cracks in walls?

To the best of my limited knowledge, you don't caulk cracks. The proper way to fix it is to dig out the crack in the shape of a "V" with the corner of a putty knife or a 5-in-one tool, rough up an inch or two to each side of the crack with sandpaper, vacuum thoroughly and then apply drywall mesh tape. Please note that it is NOT regular paper drywall tape! The next step is lightly spritz the area with water so that the sheetrock or plaster doesn't suck all of the moisture out of the joint compound and then put a skim coat of joint compound over the area. Let the skim coat dry for a day or so and then give it another coat. When that dries, sand it smooth and re-paint or texture and then re-paint as necessary.

Default Re: Best caulk to use to fill settlement cracks in walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    To the best of my limited knowledge, you don't caulk cracks. The proper way to fix it is to dig out the crack in the shape of a "V" with the corner of a putty knife or a 5-in-one tool, rough up an inch or two to each side of the crack with sandpaper, vacuum thoroughly and then apply drywall mesh tape. Please note that it is NOT regular paper drywall tape! The next step is lightly spritz the area with water so that the sheetrock or plaster doesn't suck all of the moisture out of the joint compound and then put a skim coat of joint compound over the area. Let the skim coat dry for a day or so and then give it another coat. When that dries, sand it smooth and re-paint or texture and then re-paint as necessary.

Thank you for your help. - very familiar with the diffence in joint compound tape. I assume you do not want to dig out too much of the crack with the putty knife so that the tape will fit nicely over the crack. Is it possible to just mud over the crack without tape since this crack is very small or will the crack just keep reappearing if you do it this way?