+ Reply to Thread

Default Resloping an existing garage floor

I have a 7 year old garage floor (3-car wide) that is not sloped from the back of the garage (inside door to house wall) to the overhead garage door side. In fact it appears that it is highest in the center of the garage as water runoff from our cars runs to the house wall side as well as to the garage door side. I would like to figure out how best to resolve this and would like to do it myself if possible. There are some cracks but nothing major. Any thoughts on products or procedures that have worked for others?
    Thanks in advance,
    Mike

Default Re: Resloping an existing garage floor

I just read the link that the poster above me suggested. Don't use that stuff! It's porous! You will wind up with an even bigger mess than you have now. I only know of one solution to the problem and that is to grind the floor to grade it towards the garage doors. Keep in mind that I am not an expert on the subject by any definition of the word! You would probably do well to speak to several different concrete contractors to see what they suggest. Good luck to ya!

Jeff

I know that there are resurfacers that grind down the surface of the garage to put on an epoxy surface. I would think that it would work for leveling the surface as well.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I wouldn't recommend grinding for your situation. I believe you have 3 possible solutions 2 are DIY and 1 is not.
    1]pour a 2" layer over top of the old concrete slopping it the right direction.
    2]install a sump well and pump in the low corner.
    3]hire a concrete leveling company to raise the inside end on the existing concrete.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I am sure you will receive plenty of suggestions, but the best recommendation would be to start over if you cannot put a minimum of three inches over the whole thing. Tapering b from a crack to the edge would be very difficult.
    There is an Alternative! But this is not easy. Put a 1/2 inch deep cut in the cement from side to side, across the middle of the garage. Cut around and as close to the bathroom, possible. Cut as deep as possible about one foot on each side of the crack, (Mark the walls where you made these cuts.). If you are sure there is no rebar in the old floor, bust out this area two feet wide where the crack is, drill and install rebar at angles to tie the two old slabs together. Acid etch the entire remaining floor with muriatic acid. This acid if used correctly will remove a layer of the surface, etching and creating a very rough surface. Several precautions are necessary, rubber boots and gloves, goggles, large rubber squeegee on a broom handle. Be sure to neutralize the acid with baking soda, and plenty of water. Install 3/8 inch rebar on 2 foot centers. Install an expansion joint on two adjacent walls, or around complete perimeter, cutting this material to create the finished level of the new floor. Drill completely through the floor 8 foot on centers and install screeding pins. In the flooring department at Lowe's there is a leveling compound used to self level floors before setting tile etc. This is a very sticky cement type material I have used to adherer regular cement to old cement. Mix this up very thin and apply this thin coat to the acid etched floor immediately before pouring the new floor. (Don’t forget to raise or cut off the door rails so the cement will not reach the bottom of the rails, also check the door with 3 inches of wood under it. If you cannot adjust the top of the door close enough to the seal, the rails will need to be raised. This is another job requiring some experience with doors.) Make a piece of plywood 1/2 inches by 3 inches the width of the door, use this as a Tempe let to create a lower area for the door to set in, below the existing door level. Look at some of your neighbor’s floors to confirm what is best used in your area. A couple of days after pouring the floor cut a 1/4 inch deep groove where you marked the walls, so the crack controls line up. Remember I said this was not easy. Thus, the suggestion of busting out the whole thing!

I don't understand who built this thing. It sounds like a structural nightmare. You may want to follow the latter user's advice...

Fishfool @ The Reef Tank