+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical outlets

when i pull out a plug it sparks why and how do i fix it

Default Re: electrical outlets

Over time outlets wear out.Replacing the outlet is very easy.Just turn the power off to the circuit and hook up the new outlet,black wire to **** screw,white wire to silver screw,bare wire to green screw.Just make sure the power is off.You can use a meter or just plug in a lamp and turn off the breakers one at a time until the lamp goes out.

Smile Re: electrical outlets

Chances are the outlet is sparking because there is a load of some kind down the line. Is the outlet back-wired? Back-wiring is when the sets of wires are ran into the stab-lock holes at the back of the device in lieu of the screw terminals. Many times, over time, this connection fails and you'll lose power down the line. The sparking happens when there is a load and the connection intermittently goes on and off, probably from movement of the device. In my humble opinion, they should not even make devices with this wiring option. Another problem could be a bad connection inside a wire nut. If there is any wire nut connections in the box, remove the wire nut and make sure all wires are securely twisted together. If necessary, re-twist the wires together with pliers and replace the wire nut making sure the wire nut grabs the wire securely. Whatever your exact problem is, I can't say for sure, but I would follow the previous poster's advice and replace the outlet after turning the breaker off. Make sure to use the wire screw terminals and not the back-wiring option.

Thanks heineselectic,I never use the speedwire connections either.I replaced every device in my house,not only to change the color,but also to get rid of all those bad connections.

Talking Re: electrical outlets

No problem dhvozza. I understand the simplicity and speed you can put in outlets using the back wire, but it's almost guaranteed it will fail eventually. I guess it keeps me busy on service calls. I would feel bad if someone's house burned down because of arcing wires. Off topic, but I think there also needs to be a ban on the words "Pre-twisting Not Necessary" written on the boxes of wire nuts. Another guaranteed point of failure.

I absolutly agree.Always twist solid wires together before installing wire nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvozza View Post
    I absolutly agree.Always twist solid wires together before installing wire nuts.
    Always did, always will...

Cool Re: electrical outlets

Question...
    I am planning to add a few more electrical power outlets in the kitchen area. The present ones are too far apart and I can only plugin two appliances at a time...I want to put 4 in 1 electrical box. I can't find any instructions on this article.
    I need help....

Thank you,