+ Reply to Thread

Default Attic Insulation Advise Needed for end wall

Hi again,
    I came up with another question for my attic insulation project. My 1965 brick veneer home faces north. The west end of the home has a triangular gable end vent. I live in NE Ohio and when we have high winds and snow, snow makes it into the attic as shown in the pictures. I recently used marine epoxy and epoxied fine, fiberglass screen over the inside of the vent. now the amount of snow has been reduced greatly, but a fine dusting still occasionally makes its way into the attic on very windy days.

My question is: My plan was to blow cocoon cellulose insulation in the attic. I however was going to install fiberglass insulation for the first 4 feet beside that west wall because the fiberglass should hold up against the snow better than cellulose. So my question is, in the picture, the original builder laid the original insulation over the 1 inch or so "breathing" cavity between the house and the brick veneer because the space between the first truss and the second is less than the 24" and the rest of the trusses are spaced 24". So, did the builder cover the "breathing" gap with insulation intentionally or was it out of laziness not to have to cut it?

Should the 1" breathing area between the brick and the house be covered with the fiberglass insulation or open?

If it should be open, a very small amount of snow/rain may rarely make it into the cavity then because that gable end vent is right there. Is this going to be a problem?

Should I just lay a 24" unfaced roll over the original insulation leaving the 1" gap covered to prevent any snow/rain from making it into the cavity?

Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	614  

Default Re: Attic Insulation Advise Needed for end wall

Hi Joe, just a thought, but do you have proper attic ventilation? If it is not properly venting through the soffits and out the gable end vent this will allow the snow to blow in. You may want to consider adding a ridge vent or single vents to the roof. I know that sometimes even in the best of situations the real fine COLD snow makes it way into a lot of areas with heavy winds. Good luck.

I would uncover the 1" gap so that you will have better airflow to dry out any moisture that does get behind the brick.

I like the idea of covering the first four feet or so by the vent with something that would hold up to the snow. I would suggest some foam board, 1" or 2" would probably be rigid enough, that you suspend/fasten just below the vent to catch the snow. This keeps an airspace between the foam board and cellulose so that any moisture migrating from the heated living space won't get trapped under the foam board.

Put a couple of 2x4 "collar ties" on the rafters and fasten the foam board to them.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by joew623 View Post
    Hi again,
    I came up with another question for my attic insulation project. My 1965 brick veneer home faces north. The west end of the home has a triangular gable end vent. I live in NE Ohio and when we have high winds and snow, snow makes it into the attic as shown in the pictures. I recently used marine epoxy and epoxied fine, fiberglass screen over the inside of the vent. now the amount of snow has been reduced greatly, but a fine dusting still occasionally makes its way into the attic on very windy days.
    The first thing would be to address the issue of snow getting in.... good for you trying to eliminate this .... it might be a consideration at some point to close off the gable vent and install either roof top vents or a ridge vent. These will be effective for the air circulation but also with the right ones will have a special baffle material that prevents snow from entering while still allowing air to pass. The thing that would concern me with having something to catch the snow would be when it melts.... this will drip water onto the insulation below.

My question is: My plan was to blow cocoon cellulose insulation in the attic. I however was going to install fiberglass insulation for the first 4 feet beside that west wall because the fiberglass should hold up against the snow better than cellulose.
    The fiberglass won't have any advantage over the cellulose in this case ..... the snow will compress the fiberglass which greatly reduces it's performance.
    Considering the performance of fiber glass can be reduced by 40+% in a moving air environment such as the attic .... then compressing it will further reduce the performance.

So my question is, in the picture, the original builder laid the original insulation over the 1 inch or so "breathing" cavity between the house and the brick veneer because the space between the first truss and the second is less than the 24" and the rest of the trusses are spaced 24". So, did the builder cover the "breathing" gap with insulation intentionally or was it out of laziness not to have to cut it?

Should the 1" breathing area between the brick and the house be covered with the fiberglass insulation or open?
    This hard to answer .... is the brick on top of the the wall top plate or outside it?
    If the top plate of the wall is exposed you would want to cover that with insulation.
    If the brick is on the top plate and there was no issue with the way it was insulated before then likely you can but the insulation tightly as it currently is.

Hope this helps.