+ Reply to Thread

Default How to read a measuring tape

I have been looking on the internet for two hours to find help reading a metal measuring tape. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME?????

Default Re: How to read a measuring tape

http://www.experttooltips.com/Tape_Measure_Video.shtml

if you check at the different home stores you can actually find tape measures that have each fraction labled. but this video will also give you the basics

Here is a pic that explains the marks the smaller you go the higher the denomitator is so from 1 inch the next bigest line is 1/2 inch then the next line is 1/4 inch then 1/8 then 1/16 get it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inch.jpg 
Views:	2132 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	680  

its just like john said. I think the tapes with the incraments broken down is to busy looking. just learn what john said and you are set. also the red numbers are 16" on center for stud spacing except here in charlotte they use 2' on center and that is why the walls wave so much in new construction, well that is one reason,.

I learned to read a tape by using wrenches....really! the 9/16 was one size bigger than the 1/2, 5/8 came next then 3/4 etc. If you're not keen on that then try this: The whole inches are easy to see, therefore a 1/2 inch is halfway between them, and the quarters halfway between those. For a lot of stuff that's as close as you'll need. You can graduate to the eighths once you're comfy with the quarters. Unless you're doing trim work you can usually get by without the rest; just go to the nearest known fraction.

FYI: If you can't read a tape you can place it where you're measuring and mark the spot on the tape with a pencil. When you unroll it the mark will remain, just be sure to erase it before the next measurement. If you need the measurement portable, say to buy windowshades, simply take the tape with you and let the store clerk read it where you marked it. By marking the tape you actually get a more accurate measurement if it lands between marks and it is how the oldtimers worked when all they had was a six foot folding stick rule. To measure 36 feet 6 1/2 inches, they layed the opened rule down, marked where it ended, then reset the rule to the end mark 5 more times(36 feet). From there the 6 1/2 inches was read directly from the rule. Alternately they used a unmarked stick of wood, counting the full sticks and marking the partial measurement on the stick at the end. This way can't tell you how much something measures but it is as accurate as your marks and skill, and can be duplicated on the wood you're cuttiing elsewhere.

For solo work on long runs of crown moulding where my tape bends too much for an accurate measurement, I cut a light stick(shoe molding etc.)exactly 100 inches, place it in one corner and mark the end. Starting from the oppisite corner I measure back to that mark, read my tape, and add 100 inches to what I read. It gets me a dead-on measurement every time!

MC