+ Reply to Thread

Default HVAC banging noise

I have an American Standard 2 zone HVAC system. For the last 2 days there has been a banging noise when the heat is on. It is coming from the Honeywell zone valve box for Zone 1 which is visibly moving with the banging. The noise then echoes througout the system and is driving me batty. The system is only 3 years old. I did have a major water leak from the unit in the summer when the AC was on, which was from a clogged pipe and was fixed by the installer--so maybe that caused damage.

Does anyone know what this means, how bad it is, and if I have to call a heating service person to fix it?

Thanks,
    cam

Default Re: HVAC banging noise

Cam:

It doesn't sound that serious.

The little motors on the Honeywell zone valves tend to fail periodically; there's nothing wrong with the rest of the system.

The top part of the zone valve (the power head) can be removed without draining the system and simply replaced.

If it's just the motor in the power head, the part costs ~$20; if the whole power head has to be replaced the part costs ~$35; these prices, of course don't include the labor of the service person.

For now, to stop the banging, try moving the little lever at the lower front of the valve to "manual".

Hopefully, this will stop the noise, and you will still get some heat until you can get a service person in to replace what's needed.

If you get a repair quote you feel is way too high, then post back, & we'll try to talk you thru replacing the power head or motor.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 01-26-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Default Re: HVAC banging noise

Thanks much. I have a call in to have someone come to check it out. It was reassuring to hear it likely won't be too pricey.
    cam