+ Reply to Thread

Default Frame on slab construction? Questions!

Hello and thank you for reading this. My detached 1 1/4 car garage appears to have been built as a frame-on-slab structure. I'm not sure if that is the right term for it or not but that is essentially what it is. The bottom plate is doubled and sits, literally, on the slab. The house and, presumably the garage, were built in 1942. Was this a common building method in 1942?

When I had the home inspected before I bought it, one of the side walls of the garage had extensive water damage to the point that about a 3 foot wide section of the wall below a window was missing/rotted totally away. The seller repaired it to code and it is fine now. I can't help but to wonder if I will be facing further problems down the road though.

I am going to replace the vinyl siding on the garage, add a few more windows and gable vents this spring and I would like to know if there is a proven modern method of protecting the bottom plate from moisture that I should employ while I have the siding off.

I was thinking of using roofing felt about a foot up the wall from the ground with another foot of it buried against the slab. Is that a good repair or will that cause problems in the future? For what it's worth, the grade is right at the bottom of the siding right now and I *could* reduce it some if need be but I would rather not if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jeff

Default Re: Frame on slab construction? Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Warped View Post
    Hello and thank you for reading this. My detached 1 1/4 car garage appears to have been built as a frame-on-slab structure. I'm not sure if that is the right term for it or not but that is essentially what it is. The bottom plate is doubled and sits, literally, on the slab. The house and, presumably the garage, were built in 1942. Was this a common building method in 1942?

When I had the home inspected before I bought it, one of the side walls of the garage had extensive water damage to the point that about a 3 foot wide section of the wall below a window was missing/rotted totally away. The seller repaired it to code and it is fine now. I can't help but to wonder if I will be facing further problems down the road though.

I am going to replace the vinyl siding on the garage, add a few more windows and gable vents this spring and I would like to know if there is a proven modern method of protecting the bottom plate from moisture that I should employ while I have the siding off.

I was thinking of using roofing felt about a foot up the wall from the ground with another foot of it buried against the slab. Is that a good repair or will that cause problems in the future? For what it's worth, the grade is right at the bottom of the siding right now and I *could* reduce it some if need be but I would rather not if I don't have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jeff
    Frame on slab building is still commonly used . I don't like it because the slab is not high enough out of the ground to suite me.
    I think installing the felt as you described will cause more problems because it provides a pathway for termites. The sills should be PT. The earth around the garage should be below the edge of the slab and you should have good drainage.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just like Jack said, don't use roofing felt. There is metal flashing you can install which will prevent the moisture from splashing back up on the sill. but still leave a edge of the slab visible for seeing termite pipes.

Also like Jack said the soil needs to be graded away from the slab or drainage around it increased to keep water from backing up under the sills.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thank you both for the info!

Jeff ... I'm late chiming in.

yep ... frame on slab is common more so in some areas than others. Likely when your garage was built pressure treated lumber wasn't common so regular lumber was used for the bottom plates.

If you were to place the felt paper in contact with the soil it would disintegrate.

One other suggestion would be to lower the soil as mentioned and to replace with gravel. This will help dissipate the water away from the siding.

Hope this helps.