+ Reply to Thread

Default Incandescent lighting-off &on by itself

Oh, ...another mystery in the kitchen. I have undercab incand lighting and while working with the lights turned on (5 fixtures to one switch), there are 2 fixtures which will go off AND BACK ON, every so often, not in conjunction, and not predictably, all by themselves. I haven't touched the switch and the other 3 fixtures remain on. The switch is located on the same wall as the outlet with the coffeemakers(see prior post) and I had the fixtures added @ 5yrs ago when we moved into our 1967 built home. (When we heavy-upped power from 100 to 400) Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: Incandescent lighting-off &on by itself

Since 3 stay on without problems it sounds more like the wire connections at those fixtures or the fixtures themselves.

thanks, I'll check them out again.

First check to see that the bulbs are tight in their sockets. Next replace bulbs (or swap them with other locations in this light system). If neither of those work, turn off the power to the circuit at the breaker, then remove the two offending fixtures and check the wire connections. Sometimes the connections at the fixture or wire nuts can become loose, the natural expansion and contraction of the wire during use will cause intermittent contact. You may want to pull all the fixtures to check all the connections, the problem may not be at the location of the lamp. Put everything back together, turn on the circuit and see how it goes.

Thanks. Given clear directions, I'm often able to figure out these type of homeowner mysteries for myself. (I spent many hours in the aisles of my dad's hardware stores as a kid.) And, even if I can't resolve it myself, at least I can then have a better understanding of where a pro might need to begin. I appreciate your input.

No problem.

I have seen under counter lights with a thermal switch built in.This would shut the lights off to let them cool down,but they would come back on once they did.Is there an external heat source under the two lights like a toaster or are they close to the range?Try swaping one bad light with a good one,if the good one starts to cut out,that would make me think that there is a heat issue.This is assuming that you checked the connections in the fixtures and the lights are still doing the same thing.Just something else to try.