+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Dirty" Electrical Power?

After going through at least 4 diff types of coffeemakers in 12 or so months(all used the same kitchen outlet) and at least as many Orel electric toothbrushes(all using the same bathroom outlet), I wonder if there's something wrong with the electric current rather than the quality of the personal appliances? These are appliances that are left plugged in all the time and I wonder if something in the wiring is causing them to malfunction? They don't stop working altogether, they just operate strangely after awhile, ie., toothbrush head won't stop rotating until placed onto base and coffeemakers dont get coffee hot enough anymore. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: "Dirty" Electrical Power?

Sounds like the appliances.

Try unplugging the coffee maker when not in use to see if that makes a difference.

Is it just small appliances that are acting up , or do you notice anything strange with major appl. like the Fridge , dishwasher , washing machine , etc. ? What about the television ? Have you inspected any of the receptacles and wiring yet ? Connections in the breaker box ?

There IS such a thing as " dirty " electrical power , but it doesn't manifest itself that way and you would have a lot of other issues as well . Best not to go there .

I'm sure more sensitive devices like electronics would exibit issues than something like a coffee maker not heating as much.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    I'm sure more sensitive devices like electronics would exibit issues than something like a coffee maker not heating as much.
    Exactly ! The TV and computer would be freaking out .

There are such things a line filters for A/V applications Its worth a try for about $20
    Corinex Powerline Electrical Noise Filter at any electroinics store.
    If you have aluminum wiring you may need an electrician check out your service- start with the power company.
    The pic is of ALum panel the AL gets loose due to disimular metals
    you may need a Infrared scan also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IR_0075.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	604  

We have a couple of recording meters that see almost continuous use by customers who swear they have issues with the quality of power feeding their businesses. (Mostly computer issues.) With these meters we can monitor amperage, voltage, spikes, sags, Hz, second by second. In the three or so years we have been offering this service I have never seen an issue on the utility side.

Not to say it does not happen but from what I have seen it is very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    We have a couple of recording meters that see almost continuous use by customers who swear they have issues with the quality of power feeding their businesses. (Mostly computer issues.) With these meters we can monitor amperage, voltage, spikes, sags, Hz, second by second. In the three or so years we have been offering this service I have never seen an issue on the utility side.

Not to say it does not happen but from what I have seen it is very rare.
    Thanks Kent . We ( the utility ) usually get the blame for most electrical problems . Those power quality monitors are worth their weight in **** . What kind of resolution and sample rate do your's have ?

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    What kind of resolution and sample rate do your's have ?
    Shortest is a one minute sample if not connected to a PC. Not sure on the resolution.

Edit: We expect them to be soon out dated with the recent advent of the gigs of storage that can be put on cards.
    Last edited by kentvw; 01-26-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Heck .... some years ago the UPS equipment that I serviced had models with built in line power monitoring for recording all that.
    It was a great tool for also troubleshooting sites for power issues or the equipment.