+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot water furnace

Hello all,

I'm currently renting a 1940s house from my cousin for a good reasonable amount of money. But there is a problem. I have an aging Hot water furnace that sucks me dry. I have electric range and dryer. The only thing that the gas is connected to heat the water for the 3 sinks I have, 1 shower the washer and of course my furnace. I've been reading about bleeding the lines but I havn't done so yet.

What I've noticed is that my bill can be up to 200+, the house is one story and only 2 bedroom. I have the thermostate on an interial wall. That ususally reads 68-70, but then I placed another thermomater of the other side of the same room. That is reading 60-62, and no matter if i turn it up to 78 it will only raise to about 65.

I just hope its something to do with bleeding the lines.

Thanx

Default Re: Hot water furnace

Ventu:

I'm sure we can offer some help.

You have a BOILER there, and not a furnace.

Could you post back to advise of how many square feet you have in the house that have to be heated.

Has any service techs been over recently to try & get more heat out of the system, and what did they say?

Could you also post back to advise if the boiler is oil-fired, or gas-fired (is the boiler run by oil or gas).

Do you have a separate gas heater to heat the hot water for the sink and bath, or is this hot tap water obtained from the boiler?

Can you check the gauge on the boiler to tell us what is the psi reading (altitude) (should be 12-15 psi).

Also advise what the temperature needle on the gauge says (should be ~180 degrees when hot).

Can you hear any water gurgling in the pipes, and have you tried to bleed the system.

Do you have baseboard convectors, or cast iron radiators?

If you have baseboard, you can remove the side covers of the baseboard to try & see if there are any little bleed valves (air vents) on the ends of the fin tubes; they have a small screwdriver/coin slot; hold a small cup beside one & try to open it up.

If you have radiators, the bleed valve/air vent should be on the upper portion of the radiator, and are bled the same way.

A small screwdriver or a coin can be used to open the valve to expel the air; when water comes out, close the valve & go on to the next baseboard/radiator.

The site below has a photo of the bleed valve/air vent: at the top of the site, click onto "homeowner", then scroll down to the bottom of the page & click onto "valves"; scroll down & click onto "air vents, air valves", then click onto "No.4v Coin-operated air vent" to see what a bleed valve looks like; you will only be able to see the top half of the valve when you find it on your system.

http://www.bellgossett.com
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 01-26-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Alright *cracks knuckles*.

could you post back to advise of how many square feet you have in the house that have to be heated.
    That i could not tell you off hand but I'll ask my landlord.

Has any service techs been over recently to try & get more heat out of the system?

Could you also post back to advise if the boiler is oil-fired, or gas-fired (is the boiler run by oil or gas).

Do you have a separate gas heater to heat the hot water for the sink and bath, or is this hot tap water obtained from the boiler?

Can you check the gauge on the boiler to tell us what is the psi reading (altitude) (should be 12-15 psi).

Also advise what the temperature needle on the gauge says (should be ~180 degrees when hot).

Can you hear any water gurgling in the pipes, and have you tried to bleed the system.
    Service techs, no I havn't just to replace the old 'oil pump' I think it used to be big and different colored and oil used to spew out of it now its just a dinky green think. Thats all he came by for.

I'm guessing its gas from all of the exterior pipes and a gas feed that sits beside my door that leads outside.

Everything is obtained from the boiler

I'll check the gauges when I get home, I'm working right now.

Yes there is trickling throughout the house, not exactly where. Buts its noticeable.

Do you have baseboard convectors, or radiators?
    And no I don't have either of those.

It may also be partly due to the 1940's house is poorly insulated and drafty.

Just a thought.

Oops, i missed the part about you renting.

Even though it's your cousin, he/she is legally responsible to keep the heating equipment in working order----that's what the agreement is when you pay rent money.

Unless there's a written agreement that states you are responsible for the heating system it's up to your cousin to make the repairs.

Have you talked to your cousin???
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 01-26-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Not about this mess, I kinda thought it was supposed to trickle But the weird temperature difference is what caught me. But the bleeding of the pipes would help out?

My cousin is in his late 50 to early 60s. He would have me do the work and not pay rent or few months or something like that. There was a sunroom that was added on to the house back in the 60's and there was no heating placed in that room. So i have a robe blocking the bottom side of the door, since it gets to be 38 degrees in there. I was kinda wondering if it would be wise to have that section open so that the forcful 38 degrees on the walks arn't conflicting with my 60-65 degress rooms?

Also I forgot that the serviceman did change something that looked like a cone canister with a handle and a little cylinder on one of the water pipes that goes to the water heater.

Smile Re: Hot water furnace

try turning aquastat down to 160/150 mine was set much higher and never heated entre space, lowered it and does much better I also save $ on oil to