+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Need advice for new wood boiler/in floor heating.

I am purchasing a hobby farm and the previous owner had started to install an outdoor wood boiler for in floor heat. He got as far as running the tubing into the house and that's it. Can the remainder of the tubing be installed directly from the basement to heat the main floor without damaging the hardwood floors?

And how can I get the upstairs heated without ripping up or adding to the floors? (the whole house has hardwood flooring) Can something be put in under the baseboards? What is the most cost effective way of doing this???

I've never used any type of in floor heating, so this is all new to me!

Thanks! Jessie

Default Re: Need advice for new wood boiler/in floor heating.

I have just purchased an outdoor wood fired boiler. I am by no means an expert on the subject but through research on the internet and through the dealer, I've learned a few things. First, I learned that unless you charge the lines leading from the outdoor furnace to the house with antifreeze( very costly), you must install a heat exchanger in your primary heat source, route the lines through the heat exchanger so your outdoor furnace and lines won't freeze. Antifreeze systems require the same maintence as would the antifreeze/radiator system in your car. I have chosen to use a water additive provided by the dealer which is less expensive to maintain. Again, the outdoor furnace is a secondary heat source with an oil fired furnance as the primary. Should the wood furnace go out, the oil fired furnace will keep the lines from freezing through the heat exchanger.

If installing infloor heating is not an option for you, radiant baseboard heaters may be the answer. Supply and return lines would need to run to each heater or possibly looped. Size of line depends on length of line and design heat output of heater.

The above info is just the tip of the iceberg. Things to consider are open and closed loop systems. Your outdoor furnace is probably an open loop system. You can install a heat exchanger in your home and change to a closed loop system. If you go with baseboard heaters, closed loop is probably the best option. Sending heat to multible locations in the house will require a manifold system were as the lines in the house are fed from one central location. Tempering valves, air evacuators, relief valves, pressure gauges and temperature gauges are all part of a boiler system.

There are many good sources of info on the "net" under radiant floor heat and outdoor boilers.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by rcrlauff; 08-06-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Default Re: Need advice for new wood boiler/in floor heating.

i'm sure there are businesses in your area who will offer you free consultations, maybe they can give you some pointers if you can withstand their selling..

Fishfool @ The Reef Tank