+ Reply to Thread

Default installing a chandelier with two silver threads

I bought a chandelier that I would like to install. I get the whole black is hot, red is hot, white could be hot, green or exposed is ground. However, th chandelier has two clear wires and one that is obviously the ground. How can I tell which wire should be attached to the "black" and which gets attached to the "white". Does it make a difference?

Default Re: installing a chandelier with two silver threads

If you look carefully at the wire you will se writing or a rib on one of the wires. That wire “should” be the white or neutral side and should connect to the screw shell portion of the socket. Obviously the other is hot or black/red and connect to the tab in the bottom of the socket.

The white in the box is the neutral or intentionally grounded conductor not the “ground”

Ground has all the glory of being the bare or green. If you do not have a bare or third wire on your old chandelier…………………….. I’m not saying you should or should not add one.

The light fixture is obviously an incandecent light.It will work either way,black to one white to the other.The only problem is that if you connect it wrong the outer metal part of the socket will be energized when the switch is on.It will still work but it is dangerous if you ever change the bulbs with the power on.

Quote Originally Posted by dhvozza View Post
    The light fixture is obviously an incandecent light.It will work either way,black to one white to the other.The only problem is that if you connect it wrong the outer metal part of the socket will be energized when the switch is on.It will still work but it is dangerous if you ever change the bulbs with the power on.
    Yep ... to this.