+ Reply to Thread

Wink Replace edges on Corian countertops

My kitchen counters are white corian. Not soapstone alas, but very easy to maintain and I have been very happy with them except for one thing. The front edge has a PINK!! stripe on it. (The previous owner had 4 sons, no daughter. Guess this was her way of dealing with it.) LOL

Anyway, is there any way to replace just the edge of a corian countertop? Please help, I'm female, but I draw the line at pink in my kitchen.

Thanks,
    Ladyhawk

Default Re: Replace edges on Corian countertops

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyhawk View Post
    My kitchen counters are white corian. Not soapstone alas, but very easy to maintain and I have been very happy with them except for one thing. The front edge has a PINK!! stripe on it. (The previous owner had 4 sons, no daughter. Guess this was her way of dealing with it.) LOL

Anyway, is there any way to replace just the edge of a corian countertop? Please help, I'm female, but I draw the line at pink in my kitchen.

Thanks,
    Ladyhawk
    corian comes with an I believe 20 year warranty. any modifications you as home owner or any unapproved or untrained by corian voids the warranty. now that aside, corian to say it in its simplest terms is a dense plastic, the pink stripe is another piece of corian epoxied inbetweet two pieces of white, the only way to remove it would be to cut it out and reepoxy a solid white edge on. is it possible to do in the field? yes but the quality would be questionable at best. because the cuts have to be very straight to maintain the seemless look. its not simply just laminating an edge, a lot of sanding goes along with it if you really like your corian tops I would locate a cabinet shop local to you and see who they recommend to do these type of modifications.

Perhaps a solid surface facing strip of 1/8 or 1/4 inch could be epoxied on ?

Some accent piece that would cover the pink strip ... this way there wouldn't need to be any routing out ... probably a little finish sanding.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Perhaps a solid surface facing strip of 1/8 or 1/4 inch could be epoxied on ?

Some accent piece that would cover the pink strip ... this way there wouldn't need to be any routing out ... probably a little finish sanding.

Just a thought.
    *** very good thought

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    *** very good thought
    Once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyhawk View Post

Thanks,
    Ladyhawk
    If you're just talking about a stripe, It can be cut out with a router and crbide tipped slot cutting bit and a strip of Corian
    (diferent color), wood , or metal can be epoxied in the cover the pink. It should be able to be done on site but it will be dusty.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

"If you're just talking about a stripe, It can be cut out with a router and crbide tipped slot cutting bit and a strip of Corian
    (diferent color), wood , or metal can be epoxied in the cover the pink. It should be able to be done on site but it will be dusty."

Get somebody with a Festool router & vac, I was amazed at the lack of dust! We recently had corian installed, our installer had one and used it to finish one corner where it intersected with the oven cabinet. I thought we were going to have a dust cloud in the kitchen but there was virtually no dust escaping the vac.

A certified top notch installer will be able to do a field install of an updated front edge. I would think they will need to hot glue clamping blocks on the top to hold the edge in place, so don't be surprised if they will need to wet sand / buff out the top when they are done.