+ Reply to Thread

Default This Old House Workbench

Hello,

I am building a workbench similar to the one in the "this old house" workshop. I was wondering what the top of the bench was made out of and finished with. This is the bench that they always talk around.

Default Re: This Old House Workbench

I think it's plywood, but they have pieces of bluboard, cardboard, etc. that they cover it with for different demos.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It's hardboard or high-density fiberboard. The same material that they use to make pegboard. (The board with all the holes in it used for hanging your tools, etc on the wall) I used it on top of my bench and it works great. It's not expensive and the 1/4" sheet overlays your existing wood top and can easily be swapped out if needed. The top is durable, smooth and very hard....

The blue top is made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
    I believe the episode where Tom Silva helps a homeowner make window plant boxes for the front of her home is where I recall the comment he made that this material is the same material that their workshop bench top is made out of back at the barn....
    Bill

I believe that when ever Tom makes something for out of doors he uses MDO rather than MDF.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb