Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Water is coming out of bath faucet instead of shower

When I run the water in the bath and turn the shower valve to turn on the shower, water still runs out of the bath faucet and the shower pressure is low. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this would be and how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Water is coming out of bath faucet instead of shower

It sounds like the seal in the diverter valve is bad. Can you post a picture of your unit so that we may describe a repair procedure?

Thanks for your quick reply. I will post a picture when I get home today.

You're welcome.

If possible, include age and brand with the image, sometimes that can be a factor in the repair process.

I am also having somewhat of the same problem. I searched for answers through the web site, and I have replaced the spout/ diverter. I still have no water coming through the shower head. What should I do next?

I also have this problem. Two things to consider: Hard water build up or low water pressure. My bathroom is only 2 years old and I bought top of the line fixtures so I wouldn't have to do it again. I really think that my problem is low water pressure from a water logged water tank.
    I also filled a glass with CLR and gave it a little soak just in case there was a calcium build up like everywhere else.
    Just some suggestions.
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

streverton,

Another thought - If this is a new or newer house...or the shower valves/controls and plumbing to those have recently been replaced.......and PEX tubing was used to supply the showerhead....this *may* be the culprit.

Reason being that PEX requires a specific type of fitting which effectively chokes down the internal diameter for a short distance....and consequently the flow rate. If the flow rate is too choked down, the diverter may not fully "kick in" and this will result in what you decribe. The cure would then be to replace the supply pipe from the bath/shower valve to the shower head with copper tubing/pipe or similar which doesn't require this "choked down" type of coupling.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-09-2008 at 10:41 PM.

I am having this problem as well. I have an 1980's era "delta-style" faucet that has one knob that controls both temp and pressure. The button for the diverter is under that knob. I know that the diverter is not making a good seal over the hole when the button is pushed in but not sure why. If I take the diverter off and put my finger over the hole while the water is on it will divert 100% of the water from the tub. I put duct tape around the plastic diverter piece just to see what would happen and it worked perfectly until the suction pulled the duct tape out through the tub spout.

any thoughts? i can post a picture of the diverter area if it would be helpful. I am pretty desperate to get this fixed because we are wasting so much water with every shower, not to mention the loss of pressure coming out of the shower head.

I'm having the same sort of diverter issues. Putting a new faucet/shower in an old clawfoot tub. When the diverter is pulled for the shower, I get water out of the holes in the wall of the tub. Did not realize that water, when diverted, went into the body of the faucet, not just up the shower riser. Also low pressure seems to be causing issues. Updating a 1913 home. Any thoughts? Thank you......

Some what similar, when I turn on the shower, most of the hot water comes out between the hot water faucet stem. Can some one guide on what needs to be replaced; I am kind of a novice with home improvement.

Thanks in advance