+ Reply to Thread

Cool How to make a pantry that works for us

We have a closet in the Kitchen that we would like to turn into a pantry. I is about 19 inches wide and 21 inches deep. My wife want something that would be like a shelf system that can be pulled out as one unit, I think that individual pull-out shelves would serve the same purpose. Do you have a recommendation as to what to do?

Default Re: How to make a pantry that works for us

Personal preference, I prefer individual pull-out shelves because they take up less space (which equals more storage in such a tight space ), and it's easier to see what's on the shelves. A single unit pull-out can only be accessed from the side, and it's difficult to see and get to everything on a shelf.

Another consideration is if this pantry will be only for shelving goods or if items like mops and brooms will also be stored here, necessitating tall storage. In this instance, then a single pull-out may be in order. Because of limited space, I'd still go with individual shelves and find somewhere else to store longer items.

I don't know, either would be great for me. However I think that individual pull out shelves would require more hardware meaning more money. The pull out unit could probably require less hardware like just casters on the bottom and a handle to pull it out but the carcass would need to be smaller and more stable.

Why not compromise, install the cart for her now while you're needing the storage and take your time building the pull out shelves and finding the right hardware for maximizing use. That way you can spread the expense out over time.
    Debby in Oklahoma

if the entire unit pulls out you need some heavy duty acuuglide slide to support the weight.. go to hd or lowes and look at some of their pantrys in their kitchen design area. then decide to build the one you like, you are going to build it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    Why not compromise, install the cart for her now while you're needing the storage
    Actually, depending on the use of the space, this isn't a bad idea. Install shelving - either fixed or pull-out - on the top half of the closet, and on the bottom half, use a cart which could house heavier items, most used cleaning supplies which could then be rolled around the house as needed, or other things like stowing larger countertop appliances, mixing bowls, etc.

I don't know if this would work or not, but you can try looking at the aftermarket product that Rev-A-Shelf and [URL="http://www.rockler.com"]Rockler/URL] sell. They allow you to customize pantries with rotating and swing out units. May not be exactly what you are looking for, but could be worth looking into.

Mike McGuinness
    RTA Kitchen Cabinets
    Last edited by Mike McGuinness; 03-30-2008 at 12:34 PM. Reason: mistake