+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Double joisting and the kitchen flooring

Hi,
    We are in the process of purchasing a new home that has a basement. Due to our budget restrictions we plan on taking the standard vinyl flooring in the kitchen from the builder but have plans to replace it with tile after an year or so. The problem now is that the builder says that we need to get the double joisting done now as a structural upgrade in order for us to tile the floor at a later date. Can a professional we hire to do the flooring take care of the joisting part or no? If so how expensive will it be?

Is double joisting a must for getting a tiled floor or is it because we have a basement?

Appreciate if some one can guide us through the right information.

Thanks

Default Re: Double joisting and the kitchen flooring

Not exactly sure what you mean by double joisting, I have a good guess but would rather it be explained than assuming. Doing the upgrade now will more than likely be easier and cheaper than retrofitting in later.

Your builder is saying the extra joists are necessary because either the flex of the floor is too great and will cause the tile to crack or it is not strong enough without the double joists to handle the extra weight of the cement backer board and tile. Either one would cause me to want the floor upgraded even if I wasn't going to tile.

Here's a thought....would placing your same size floor joists on 12" centers rather than 16" centers give the added strength necessary? The engineer that designed the house would have to look at the span & materials to say one way or the other. It may cause other problems with mechanicals fitting in the joist bay, but if not, may be a less expensive solution.

Default Re: Double joisting and the kitchen flooring

Quote Originally Posted by homes View Post
    Hi,
    We are in the process of purchasing a new home that has a basement. Due to our budget restrictions we plan on taking the standard vinyl flooring in the kitchen from the builder but have plans to replace it with tile after an year or so. The problem now is that the builder says that we need to get the double joisting done now as a structural upgrade in order for us to tile the floor at a later date. Can a professional we hire to do the flooring take care of the joisting part or no? If so how expensive will it be?

Is double joisting a must for getting a tiled floor or is it because we have a basement?

Appreciate if some one can guide us through the right information.

Thanks
    Sounds as though the builder is recommending this be done to minimize the "bounce" that may be present from the current design of the floor structure.... regardless if there is a basement.

It's not so much a structural deficiency that the floor may cave in but more for the rigidity necessary for tile floors.

The current floor covering you mentioned will be vinyl and it won't matter if there is any bounce to the floor ... tile is not forgiving and if there is too much bounce the tiles may crack and /or the grout will crack and pop out.

Depending at what stage of construction it may be cost effective to have the builder do it ... besides it should be easier for them and likely be done properly.
    It becomes more difficult to do it after the fact since there will be obstructions like electrical wiring , plumbing and possibly ducting in the way hampering the install of the additional support.

Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: Double joisting and the kitchen flooring

Hi bp21901 and canuk,
    Double joisting is the word that the sales people used. Couple more people we spoke with also didn't have any idea on what it meant.Having no knowledge in these construction terms we are confused too.Hence I posted a query here to see if I can get some answers. Both your explanations made me understand the pros and cons associated with getting the upgrade vs not getting it.

Thank you so much. After reading your responses we realized that it makes more sense to get it now than later

Thanks again.