We recently moved into our home and it is our first experience with oil heat (and an oil burner). We rarely use our heat (hot water base board) as we burn wood for most of our heat. The only time we use our heater is to heat up water for a daily shower and occasionally to heat the house if we are low on wood.

My question is this. Is there any inherent danger to our system if we frequently shut off our heater (using the red emergency shut-off switch on our main floor of our house)whenever we are not in need of it?

Basically, I have been turning the heater on when I take a shower, and then shutting it off when I get out. I repeat this process daily. It just doesn't seem to make sense to us if we are constantly heating up a tank of water (it is a small tank--maybe 5-10 gallons) all day just so we can use 5 minutes worth of hot water.

One technician told us that there is a danger of the gaskets suffering damage due to the constant expansion and contraction caused by the temperature changes. Not sure if he was being overprotective or not....

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.