+ Reply to Thread

Default Coffered wood ceiling options

We are considering a coffered wood suspended ceiling system. There seems to be little pricing information out there and little options to view samples other than ******. Any advice or input on any of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Coffered wood ceiling options

Candice Olsen did one of these a few weeks ago on her show, Divine Design. I couldn't find a source on her website though.

I'm thinking that any tongue and groove would work, I remember she nailed the boards to the rafters except for that last one it was glued and nailed. Don't try to put it in tight, the boards need a little room to expand and contract. Then put a corner molding in around the edges too.

I'm thinking you could do the same thing with plywood in the fields instead of tongue and groove. It will be more stable and just as stain receptive.

If you are planning to paint then don't bother with stuff in the fields just smooth drywall is a good plan.

Do you need to know how to build the coffers too?

I could go on and on, let me know what else you need to know.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thank you Debbie,

I should have expanded on what I need. I was looking for more of a coffered ceiling that offered the depth. I didn't want to go with tongue and groove or plank ceilings. There are some offerings on the web for all wood ceiling system that are pre-finished and are built like suspended ceiling system using 2'x2' inserts. I was looking for opinions from people that have used any of them. One of the systems is made by ACP - Evoba wood ceiling system. I found out today this system in the oak finish runs at $27/sq. ft.

ah I have see one of these but I didn't install it I just took it down and helped the homeowner fix up the plaster ceiling above it.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Here's an article on building your own
    http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/perfecting-coffered-ceilings.aspx? .You my have to paste the link in your address line. If the link doesn't work let me know.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb