+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Electricity testing?

Look at all the gadgets today that are AC/DC convertors that are plugged in ... it's scarey when I look around and see several of these around here.
    Plugged in and the internal transformer humming away drinking up all that juice ... sitting idle ...

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Look at all the gadgets today that are AC/DC convertors that are plugged in ... it's scarey when I look around and see several of these around here.
    Plugged in and the internal transformer humming away drinking up all that juice ... sitting idle ...
    Unless the item is being used, we don't leave these transformers plugged in. We figure that without a "load" on them, that they're just burning themselves out. I don't worry about my computer or the girlfriends computer because they are on power strips that get turned off when the computer isn't in use. All the tv's and electronics are another story. There are PSA's running now that show an electronics assembly line and hypothetical power drains flashed on them as they pan across the screen to inform folks of these hidden energy losses.

Yah der shuwer myster spruce, but you'd in CA-LEE FO NE-AH.

You get PSA's like that........ Looks like the rest of us are figuring it out for ourselves.

Been thinking about this a little bit and have a couple of additional comments. Ladies meter is reading amps and not kwh so she will need to add up all of her load and run the calculations.

Like you other guys pointed out the energy burners are pieces of equipment with power supplies that stay energized even with the equipment turned off or unused.

In theory anyway items like Ladies plug-in space heater should use 0 energy when it is turned off because unless it is some fancy smancy heater it is just a resistive coil and fan with no power supply. Iím kind of curious as to why she saw any usage at all with the heater turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post
    Yah der shuwer myster spruce, but you'd in CA-LEE FO NE-AH.

You get PSA's like that........ Looks like the rest of us are figuring it out for ourselves.
    That CauliFORneeA, and we west coasters tend to lead the "green".

Just kidding, of course. Our state puts out a lot of PSA's on water conservation, energy conservation, etc. Unfortunately, they're only applicable to the consumer, business doesn't have to comply. The only time you'll see a business affected by anything is during our rolling brown/black outs from not enough power in the summer. Other than that, they can have all the power and water they can consume or waste.

Don't forget all the battery chargers in your shop.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by kentvw View Post

In theory anyway items like Ladies plug-in space heater should use 0 energy when it is turned off because unless it is some fancy smancy heater it is just a resistive coil and fan with no power supply. Iím kind of curious as to why she saw any usage at all with the heater turned off.
    It's a fancy one....lol, $59. It's got a remote, so I don't know if something has to be on in order for it to read the remote. But other things I have tested are:

TV: 0.07amps
    Fax 0.19
    Computer: 0.16
    Coffee Maker: 0.07

I think that the tester is working, those seem accurate don't they?

Yup, they look close enough for government work even. Just remember the are amperage readings.

Quote Originally Posted by NewLady View Post
    It's got a remote, so I don't know if something has to be on in order for it to read the remote.
    Yup! That'd do it!

Either way, all the things plugged in cost $6 a month, and that's including 2 space heaters, so once the warm weather comes then those go away, and will be about $4 a month then So who here knows how to figure out how much power the electric hard wired water heater is using?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLady View Post
    So who here knows how to figure out how much power the electric hard wired water heater is using?
    Your electric water heater "probably" has two elements in it; one upper and one lower. The upper one sees most of the use. the lower one only kicks in when enough hot water is drawn off the top and the temp drops low enough to kick the lower element in.

The elements are "probably" 1500 watts each but here's the kicker they are 240 volts so your formula remains the same but your numbers are different.