+ Reply to Thread

Default wiring a GFCI to a switch and a plug

I'm wiring our kitchen that we're remodeling, and wanted to double check my plan for wiring a GFCI outlet the would protect a switch (that will control a garbage disposal) and an outlet that will have constant power.

I'm going to try to attach an image that diagrams my plan, with the red wire being the neutral one....if you can see it.

My plan is to have the line coming into the GFCI, then the black wire coming out of the GFCI will be pigtailed with one black wire leading from the pigtail to the switch, and another black line from the pigtail leading the the outlet with constant power.
    The neutral wire coming out of the GFCI will be pigtailed as well, one wire from the neutral pigtail will go to the outlet with constant power, and another neutral wire going from the neutral pigtail to the garbage disposal which will be powered by the switch....there will also be a a black wire coming from the switch to the garbage disposal. Does this sound right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outlets.jpg 
Views:	1827 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	598  

Default Re: wiring a GFCI to a switch and a plug

The wiring layout looks fine ... however .... just make sure that the supply hot and neutral are attached to the "line" connections of the GFCI ...... the switch and other receptacle are wired to the "load" connectors of the GFCI.

It's possible having the garbage disposal running off the GFCI may trip it from time to time.... GFCI receptacles can be sensitive to motors tripping them.

Not knowing the electrical code in your area there may be an issue of having too many items on this one kitchen circuit.

Default Re: wiring a GFCI to a switch and a plug

Your drawing is correct for what you describe.

Keep in mind though that if you want to wire this per the NEC you need two 20 amp circuits feeding your kitchen receptacles only, with few exceptions. The disposal is not an exception.

Also, the NEC does not require the disposal to be GFCI protected.