+ Reply to Thread

Default How to cover semi-gloss paint?

What is the best way to repaint a semi-gloss finished surface?

I have been told to prime first, then paint. I have also been told I can use a "self-priming" paint. And I have of course simply painted over the semi-gloss with reasonable success.

Is there a preferred method especially for a textured wall that I don't want to load up with a large number of coats?

C

Default Re: How to cover semi-gloss paint?

Wash the walls with a TSP solution, rise well, let dry, paint as normal - no primer necessary unless excessive dirt,staining, etc. The TSP will etch the surface of the semi gloss paint so that the new paint will adhere properly.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Wash the walls with a TSP solution, rise well, let dry, paint as normal - no primer necessary unless excessive dirt,staining, etc. The TSP will etch the surface of the semi gloss paint so that the new paint will adhere properly.
    ON THE SAME SUBJECT OF COVERING SEMI GLOSS WALLS IS TCP THE SAME AS SUGAR SOAP. IF NOT CAN YOU EXPLAIN WHAT TCP IS. ANDY

TSP = Tri-Sodium Phosphate

Is a general cleaner as well it will slightly etch the glossy surface of the paint allowing a surface for primer or other layer of paint to grab on to.

I recently saw the term "sugar soap" on another site so I Googled it to see what it was.
    Sugar soap is an industrial cleaning material, composed of sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, and sometimes sodium silicate as an abrasive. The dry powder looks like table sugar, which gives it its name. The term appears to be used with regards to a cleaning material, mainly in Commonwealth countries.
    TSP, or trisodium phosphate, didn't have a composition (types of phosphate ) that I could find. Here in the states, TSP is used as a heavy duty cleaner/degreaser. In answer to your question, yes I would say that sugar soap and TSP are similar, if not identical.

you can do the same thing by washing the walls with a brush and a cleaner for painted walls like top job, lysol general clearner or similar, then applying liquid sand or liquid sandpaper (another deglossing agent that unlike TSP doesn't have to be rinsed or neutralized). read the label for directions and allow it to do its work, then later priming and painting. since you have textured walls you'll likely want to use a sprayer with light coats in two quick passes one EW NS or a longer napped roller to paint.

i would recommend to use a good primer, behr enamal undercoat. or zinser. let dry 24 hours if you are trying to cover yellow stains. if not then 2 hours then use a top of the line, sherwin williams paint for the semi gloss. what room are you going to paint. if a kitchen and gressy, then wipe down walls. and clean the edges of the baseboard with mineral spirts.