+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Load Capacity of Studs & Wall Shelving

I recently installed wall shelving in my office at home, using the Real Organized Double Track standards, brackets, and hang-track from HomeDepot. I attached the 40" hang-track to the horizontal joist at the top of the (load-bearing) wall using five 2-1/2" screws. I hung three 70" standards on the hang-track and screwed them into the studs. The top two shelves use three 14" brackets, and the bottom shelf uses three 18.5" brackets.

Everything looks great. The top and middle shelves hold about 50# each of stuff. The bottom shelf holds about 250# of computer equipment.

The brackets are rated to carry 450# per pair, and I'm using three brackets per 48" shelf.

Here's my question -- What about the wall studes? Can they bear all this additional weight, or is it all going to crash down on my head at some point?

Thanks for anyone's advice on this.

Default Re: Load Capacity of Studs & Wall Shelving

In my opinion, everything hinges on the screws. When fastening into wall studs, be sure to use sufficiently long, hardened steel screws with a course thread. Course thread screws grab framing lumber much better than fine-thread screws, which are designed for hardwoods. It is important to use hardened steel, because it less suceptible to break than other materials. As for length, 2-1/2" screws are plently long, especially if they are supplied by the manufacturer. The 450 lb. rating was probably achieved whith the shelving attached to a wall with screws provided by the manufacturer.

Default Re: Load Capacity of Studs & Wall Shelving

Kenneth's statement regarding the screws is right on. If you think about it, all the pressure/stress is essentially straight down on the screws. They aren't as strong as the studs. For the studs to fail, they would either have to compress straight down (not going to happen) or fall into the room (again, no chance). The studs are anchored to the top plate with at least two nails and wall board runs across several of them. This spreads out the falling forward stresses.

The screws though, have all the stress, straight down. The load is dispersed across several of them and if recommended by the factory, you're probably pretty safe. If this gets to be much of a concern, you may need to re-think your shelving or storage items. 450lbs is quite a load. I'm assuming this is on a slab, not a second floor??