+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy installing a dimmer with can lights

I've installed a dimmer switch for 2 can lights in my basement. I bought the "new dimmable" flood lights for $12 a piece and when I go to turn them on and then reduce the lighting....they just stay on or off no in between. Any suggestions?

Default Re: installing a dimmer with can lights

Have you tried replacing the flood by using a regular incandescent light bulb, If that gives you the same results I would check the wiring. You might even go as far as trying the dimmer in place of another light switch. If that fails I would take the dimmer back.

Did you turn off the power when you installed the dimmer? Dimmers can be touchy. They can often be destroyed by installing them when the circuit is "live", causing these exact symptoms.
    HTH

Dave

I have tried both kinds of light bulbs and neither worked. They both turn off when the dimmer is slid all the way down and on when it "clicks" past the lowest point on the way up. The power was off when I installed the switch as well. As far as wiring I was not aware that there was something different that needed to be done. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Talking Re: installing a dimmer with can lights

I installed a new one and it works! Thanks for the suggestions! Apparently the original was faulty or as was suggested "touchy" and was damaged! Thanks!