+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Venting a dryer from basement

I am installing a washer and dryer in the basement of my brownstone, and would like some advise

on venting a dryer. what I thought is to tap into the vent that is there were the hot water heater and

the boiler are vented it goes to the roof . Is it wise or should the dryer be vented alone. thank you for any help.
    Last edited by starr0484; 01-21-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: Venting a dryer from basement

Quote Originally Posted by starr0484 View Post
    I am installing a washer and dryer in the basement of my brownstone, and would like some advise

on venting a dryer. what I thought is to tap into the vent that is there were the hot water heater and

the boiler are vented it goes to the roof . Is it wise or should the dryer be vented alone. thank you for any help.

The "vents" for the boiler and water heater are flues for gasses. Not a good idea to be venting your dryer via the flues. Besides, I would imagine all of the moisture from the dryer would condense long before it got to the top of the stack and come straight back down the flue as water.

I think you will need to figure out how to get a hole out the side of the house. Either with a hammer drill and a sucsession of holes or a core drill.

Just wondering , is this a gas or electric dryer ?

Yes, you definately need to run a separate vent for the dryer. A dryer, gas or electric, uses an exhaust fan to push the hot, humid air out...air will travel a path with the least obsructions, so, it could easily just blow the exhaust gasses from the furnace and water heater back into the room - very dangerous.

Dryer MUST be vented independently of any other appliance or vent.

All the best, Irishmist
    Live your life as an EXCLAMATION; not an explanation!