+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Problem removing sink pop-up - Help!

First off please welcome me as a new member. I'm replacing the old pop-up assemble and the Flange appears to be sealed fairly tight. Could use some advice or tips on removing. Thanks.
    Gerry Chapman

Default Re: Problem removing sink pop-up - Help!

GerChap ... welcome.

Typically the flange is threaded into the drain pipe under the sink. If you loosen the retaining nut on the drain pipe ( that also contains the lever mechanism ) on the underside of the sink will allow you to push up the flange to be able to turn it for removal. There might be plumber's putty on the back side of the flange where it contacts the sink just be sure to replace this when reinstalling the drain.

Most sinks I've worked with you couldn't unscrew the flange from the tail piece, you had to cut it out with a key-hole saw. Loosen the nut and attempt Canuk's recommendation first. YOu may need a second pair of hands to hold the tail piece with pliers while you attack the flange with pliers. If that doesn't work, break out a key-hole saw, or wrap the end of a hacksaw blade with tape (as a handle ), and cut a kerf into the flange, all the way through into the tail piece. From there you can usually collapse the flange enough to get it out, if not, kerf it again on the opposite side, or as many times as it takes to get the pieces out. Once everything is out, clean the hole in the sink really well so that the new materials have a good place to seat and seal against.

This brings up a question for the other pro's out there. I've gotten into this debate with plumbers over the years, and still have not gotten a satisfactory answer. If the flange and head of the tail piece are encased in the sink, sealed by the rubber washer and nut from underneath, what's the point of using pipe dope on the flange threads or plumbers putty around the lip of the flange when setting it to the sink? Any leakage is going to go into the overflow area and down the tail piece anyway, there will be no external leakage. This would only apply to lavatory sinks, not a kitchen sink.

Working on a bathroom remodel and the other day set the all in one counter top / sink unit. Installed the pop-up drain piping that came with the Peerless faucet kit and found that I had to use putty on the flange , also their instructions call for it.
    The reason I had to do this is those molded sinks have irregular surfaces on the top and bottom sides. The rubber washer on the under side wouldn't quite fit the sinks opening so it wouldn't seal anything also because the irregularity of the bottom of the sink ( top side ) distorted the flange which wouldn't allow any seal without putty. I guess it's an old habit to use the putty I learned years ago ... it doesn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    The reason I had to do this is those molded sinks have irregular surfaces on the top and bottom sides. The rubber washer on the under side wouldn't quite fit the sinks opening so it wouldn't seal anything also because the irregularity of the bottom of the sink ( top side ) distorted the flange which wouldn't allow any seal without putty. I guess it's an old habit to use the putty I learned years ago ... it doesn't hurt.
    I can see using it underneath, with the rubber washer when you have this issue, however according to most faux top manufacturers, you shouldn't use putty on the surface side of the sink because of staining problems.

If you look at the drain construction of a typical lav sink, you've got the bowl, a hollow under the bowl where the overflow comes to, then the sealing surface for the drain neck. Look at the drain neck and there's holes below the flange for the overflow water to enter and go down the tail piece. What good is any type of sealant under the flange or on it's threads when the sink is designed for water to be there? Under the sink, I can see using any and all means to make a tight seal, it's kind of important here.

Yep ... I see your point.
    The most critical point would be the rubber bottom gasket.

I guess after installing kitchen sinks I just carry that habit over to the bathroom sinks as well.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-19-2007 at 08:02 PM.

True, a leaking flange will just leak harmlessly into the overflow, and the water will thus just go down the drain, but depending upon what you're using the sink for, this can be quite annoying, having to keep refilling the sink. If you fill the sink with water when you shave, for instance. Or some women soak their "unmentionables" in the sink. (OK...some men may also do this, but that's a discussion better left for another day.)

Unless it's a cultured marble sink, I generally use the putty.
    HTH

Dave

AH HA!!! I knew someone would come up with a good answer! Thanks Dave, I hadn't thought of keeping water IN the sink. Though, I'm not one prone to soaking "unmentionables". Funny how plumbers couldn't give me this answer, and I've gone through a few in all my years in the trade.

We have a winner ... Vanna White tell us Dave357 prize ... a NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    We have a winner ... Vanna White tell us Dave357 prize ... a NEW CAR
    What happened to Rice-A-Roni, that San Francisco treat?