+ Reply to Thread

Default leaking tub faucet

When i turn my faucets off in my tub,,there is still water running from the spout. I have two handle faucet with a handle that controls the shower/tub release. I am not sure what brand of faucets are on this but seems i cant turn the handles tight enough to cut off the water and has become a constant running of water. I took the handle off the hot side to see how i can replcae the guts but it has just the stem to which the handle attaches to turn water off and on. Is there a way to replace the washers in this type of faucet or do i need a new diverter put in??
    Thanks for your help...hope i described my prolem well enough to be solved.

Default Re: leaking tub faucet

You probably have a Price Pfister shower valve. When you remove the stem (usually the Hot side leaks first) you will find a rubber washer. If the washer is rough on the exposed side, the "faucet seat" probably has rough grooves which can be seen if you look down the hole with a flashlight. The rubber washer closes on the faucet seat when the faucet is turned off which turns off the water. With a groove in the seat the water leaks through. The faucet seat can be removed with a faucet seat wrench from your hardware store and a new one installed. With new seats and washers your valve should last for many more years. The center valve (diverter) is made to leak a little water when set for the shower, so that it drains a little and you do not get a blast of cold water when you take the next shower.