+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question How do I straighten a ridge beam

Our home was built in 1949 and we have lived here for 15 years. While on the roof of the house, I noticed that the ridge beam seemed to be bowing. There is quite a bit of things on the shelves I have supported from the ceiling. Any suggestions on how to straignten the beam out, keep it straight and still keep all my stuff on these shelves?

Default Re: How do I straighten a ridge beam

Quote Originally Posted by webmb View Post
    Our home was built in 1949 and we have lived here for 15 years. While on the roof of the house, I noticed that the ridge beam seemed to be bowing. There is quite a bit of things on the shelves I have supported from the ceiling. Any suggestions on how to straignten the beam out, keep it straight and still keep all my stuff on these shelves?
    If you have stuff hanging from the ridge beam or the hips and it's causing a sag, you should take all of that stuff off of it immediately. You are endangering the structural integrity of your roof for storage space. IMHO, that's a bad idea. Assuming you are storing your things in an attic space, it would be far better to store them on the floor on 5/8" thick plywood that is properly secured. This is assuming that your rafters/joists are 16" on center. Your roof's framework is meant so support the roof only. Good luck!

Jeff

I have a similar problem. My roof is pre truss and it has a 1x4 or 1x6 inch ridge with 2x4 home built trusses code in 1973. It would be fine for a building, but, it has two 6x6 beams supported by posts instead, as it is a carport. I plan on putting walls on three sides, and it has a wall on one side now. I would say it is sagging in the middle about 3 or four inches. The ridge is 18 feet long. The width of the building is 20 feet. I have considered a plywood laminated beam, and I would place it under the current beam, and try to lift. Would that work ?

mshreeve .... Maybe I'm just over tired tonight ......I'm a little confused at the description of the framing construction of your carport.

Are these 6x6 's the ridge beams?
    Or are they perimeter beams the rafters sit on ?
    Are there collar ties ?

Sometimes the ridge can sag if the walls bow outward ... that will be the way it would fall in. Check to see if the sides are plumb.

webmb,
    While I can't see your situation & don't know exactly shelves supported from the ceiling is, it's not uncommon for ridge beams to bow & not be completely horizontal. The usually reach an equilibrium at some point & are not usually a cause for alarm. If it seems excessive or has been changing have a professional evaluate it. An inspection in the attic would tell you if any of the structure is broken, coming apart or just not properly built originally.

Are the floors level? Make sure the foundation is correct before jacking around with the rafers. Is there framing correct under the ridge, are there strong backs? adaquate sized ceiling joists? kickers? etc. etc. You may need some engineering consultation, Hope you can find some good help,